Apple held its annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in on Monday and threw a lot of new stuff at us, including a and Pro Display XDR, iOS 13 with a dark mode, MacOS Catalina, an operating system just for the iPad called iPadOS and new features for Watch fans. WWDC 2019 was a lot different than the single-OS conference of 20 years ago and .
If you just want to cut to the chase, here are some highlights:
- Apple iOS 13: New Siri voice, camera tools, Dark Mode for iPhone
- New Mac Pro makes its debut, starts at $5,999
- Apple gives the iPad its own OS
- Apple's new MacOS opens up to iPad apps in the fall
- All the latest from WWDC
As the conference started, Tim Cook gave us:
- A preview of the ,
- News that Apple TV's ,
- and controllers, which gaming service.
He also addressed the big "" question in an interview with CBS News.
If you want a written play-by-play recap of the entire event, check out our liveblog.
Mac Pro and Apple Pro Display XDR
- The -- but , which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
- Thanks to the magic of AR, .
- Apple's also introduced a custom video accelerator card, called Afterburner, designed specifically for video editing acceleration to support native ProRes and ProRes Raw in 8K. Hello, 1.4 kilowatt power supply. But: optional wheels!
- The rumored 32-inch HDR display (that Apple dubs "XDR") is real as the ; Apple intends it to replace both reference and working monitors for video editors. It's got a matching cheese-grater back that's also a huge heat sink. The panel has 6,016x3,384 resolution, is true 10-bit, and incorporates a polarizer for better viewing angles, etched glass and a large array of blue LEDs with lenses and local dimming. It supports 1,600 nits peak and 1,000 nits sustained and high contrast.
- , .
- Apple's new Mac Pro with monitor costs $12K, so here are 10 cars that cost less.
IPad now runs iPadOS
- It wasn't announced, but
- Splitting the operating system . It lets you pin widgets to the home screen, provides a better multitasking interface, permits multiple windows in apps with split screen, and has App Expose.
- Now there's a column view in Files, more metadata and quick actions. Also, folder sharing finally comes to iCloud Drive, and you'll be able to attach to network servers.
- and the ability to import photos directly from a camera.
- Safari on iPad will pull the desktop site resized for its display and optimized for touch input.
- There's support for custom fonts from the big foundries, as well as better text selection.
- Apple Pencil has lower latency and is better for doing markup, and Apple has opened the programming interface to other software developers.
- All these changes mean
Coming to the iPhone: iOS 13
- . .
- , and .
- Safari, Mail and Notes get some updates, but the big rewrite is in Reminders; also .
- including , and random email addresses with forwarding -- it will also be on the web. .
- , and Apple now has a HomeKit-in-routers partner program.
- And, of course, ; . Now there are automatic sticker packs of your Memoji.
- Portrait lighting effects and an improved editing interface in Photos, as well as the ability to rotate and filter videos. Plus, a new automatic organization of your Camera Roll.
- AirPods, , and more personalization across loads of HomePad capabilities. via your
- iOS 13 will let you from one iPhone.
- CarPlay has a new dashboard with expanded partner apps.
- , since it's completely procedural rather than pieced-together recorded syllables, and has learned to read incoming Messages.
- The new version of iPhone integration, a Podcast app with indexing for easy finding, and Apple TV with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision support. , or "Catalina", has an dubbed , less-intrusive
- There's a new app called Sidecar that lets you .
- An Activation Lock and Find My comes to MacOS for locking access to your MacBook from thieves.
- (formerly Marzipan) is only for iPad apps; it permits developers to now .
- For developers, (with built-in motion capture) made Minecraft in the real world possible, and that's just for starters.
- Swift programming language has a new framework to make programming easier.
WWDC 2019: A quick visual recap of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference keynoteSee all photos
Apple Watch and Watch OS 6
- There are new watch faces for Apple Watch: gradient face, digital face, California Dial and a Solar face with a 24-hour sun path.
- The Apple Watch app store is coming to the device, letting you browse, purchase and install right on the watch.
- There's a redesigned , , and fitness-tracking updates are coming. Also, is coming to both the Watch and the iPhone.
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as health or medical advice. Always consult a physician or other qualified health provider regarding any questions you may have about a medical condition or health objectives.