>>Google's ditches its newspaper plan, Comcast is in trouble with the SEC again and we have a gadget for all you lovers out there. It's Wednesday, January 21, I'm Natali Del Conte and it's time to get Loaded.
[ Music ]
>>There's a very good chance that you watched Obama's inauguration yesterday in some form or fashion. It's being called the most interactive inauguration ever. While that's pretty much a given, because technology has evolved, it's indisputable that there was more interest in this inauguration than ever before. I followed along on cbsnews.com, as well as on Twitter, which was such an interesting way to get into the event. The administration is going to have to stay high-tech though, the changing of the guard at whitehouse.gov did not go quite so smoothly. The site was supposed to change from Bush to Obama, but it was a bit buggy; it announced Obama's swearing in before that actually happened and a blog post, supposedly by Obama, was blank for an hour before he finished it. Also, some photo captions were incorrect and the search options didn't work properly. But hey, everyone's a little awkward on their first day on the job, right?
If Google can't save the newspapers, I'm afraid that no one can. The company has ditched its cute little experiment with selling print newspaper ads. Google started selling print ads in the same manner that it sells ad wares back in November of 2006. But they will stop offering them as of February 28 and will fulfill all sold ads through March 31. Google says that they took a good look at the programs that were working and the programs that were not and after two years of testing out newspaper ads, they said, "Ok , that was fun, not a success, moving on." But I ask you, what is next for the old bastion of journalism? It's not a good sign.
Former SEC Chair Kevin Martin made some trouble for Comcast before leaving his post on Tuesday. Martin launched an investigation against Comcast in an effort to decide if the ISP has been deliberately degrading its rivals, IP Phone Services. This is not the first time Comcast has been accused of slowing traffic that is not convenient to its agenda. If found guilty, the suggested fine is $500,000 or more. Obama has not formerly named Martin's replacement, but we still think it will be Julius Genachowski. Whoever it is, we'll have to front this investigation all the way to the end and we'll be watching for the outcome.
Intel's last earnings report was not their shining moment. Now the company is having to cut prices of its processors by up to 48%. The Celeron 570 is now $70, which is 48% less than its original price, while the Quad-Core models have dropped 40% to $316. The higher end models did not get a price cut. Hopefully this continues to translate into cheaper computers for us, but you never really can bank on that. Intel says that they hope their profit margins will be healthy again by the end of the year. For that matter, we hope everybody's profit margins will be healthy again by the end of the year.
The Blackberry Bold is getting visual voice mail, we think. The Boy Genius Report just leaked screen shots of the new Bold, using this feature. Visual voice mail allows you to play your voice mail messages in whatever order you choose. Since there's no official word on this, we don't have a set date, but we'll keep you posted.
The PS3 is getting a firmware update soon. From what we can tell, Version 2.60 won't be nearly as dramatic of an update as the 360, and it will focus on a new photo gallery app that'll let you customize your photos and version 2.0 will offer support for DivX.
>>This firmware update enhances a lot of the media capabilities of the Play Station 3. The main feature of this is a feature called the photo gallery. And after you do the update, you'll find that in the photo section. So basically if you go over to the photo section, you'll see a new icon called photo gallery. We've added support for DivX 3.11 and we've also allowed guest browsing for people who aren't members of Play Station network for the Play Station store.
>> Natali: I do find it a bit strange that a hard core gaming system like the PS3 would be less focused on gaming and more on multi-media features,
but if they throw in a flashy video player after the update, I'll be happy.
I usually don't like to report on kitschy gadgets, but this one is too silly and useful not to mention. It's a breath measuring device, just in time for the Valentine's date that I do not have. The Kiss-o-meter alerts you when your breath is not acceptable to share with other people. It's supposedly right 80% of the time. The other 20% you have to rely on that old "breath-in-the-hand" trick. It's only $30 and I would wager would not make a good gift for anyone but yourself.
Those are all your headlines for today, I will see you tomorrow. Thank you for watching. I'm Natali Del Conte with CNET TV and you've just been Loaded.