Yesterday, Apple announced the, and . These three new iPhones for 2018 officially replace the iPhone X, which Apple after the announcement. So if you're looking for a new "IPhone X" this year, one of these three will have to be it. While the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max have virtually the same guts, just in two different sizes, the iPhone XR is a cheaper, more colorful phone with a few compromises. The XR introduces a profound shift in Apple's strategy by folding its "bargain" phone into the premium iPhone mix.
The iPhone XR starts at $749 for the lowest storage capacity, the iPhone XS starts at $999 -- like last year's iPhone X -- and the XS Max's 64GB model costs $1,099. The prices rise from there with each jump in internal storage. Instead of Apple's most advanced phone breaking the $1,000 ceiling, two of these new iPhones now start at a grand or more. This is Apple's way of testing people's willingness to.
Apple has dabbled in cheaper iPhones before, with theand , but their designs stood apart from the mainstream iPhones, and they didn't last. Here, the cheaper iPhone XR shares the design and many of the same specs as the top-tier iPhones. It comes in bright colors and has some slimmed-down features, like a smaller battery than the new iPhone XSes. The pricing is the most attractive for iPhone loyalists. Although there's nothing "budget" about the iPhone XR's $749 starting price, people looking for a new iPhone this year could easily gravitate to the relatively cheaper XR.
This reveal of Apple's 2018-2019 lineup is a big moment for the tech giant, which shook up its iPhone range in 2017 when it introduced the future iPhone 9 and turning its whole iPhone naming scheme ., and , effectively killing any chance of a
At a time when phones are becoming, Apple's decision to embrace the new "X" family is important because it cements a new strategy for Apple, one that will continue to set the pace for phone makers as we move toward 2019.
These new iPhones for 2018 will need to impress buyers if Apple has any desire to nudge Chinese brand Huawei -- which-- and regain its seat as the world's second-largest phone maker, after No. 1 Samsung.
Keep reading for all the new iPhone specs. In the meantime, preorders for the iPhone XS and XS Max begin this Friday, Sept. 14, with the phones going on sale next Friday, Sept. 21. The iPhone XR preorders begin Oct. 19 and it goes on sale Oct. 26.
Editors note: This story originally posted Sept. 12, 2018; it updated most recently on Sept. 13 at 10:44 a.m. PT.
iPhone XR, XS, XS Max US pricing
|iPhone XS Max||$1,099||N/A||$1,249||$1,449|
New iPhone XR, XS, XS Max starting prices
||iPhone XR||iPhone XS||iPhone XS Max|
|US||$749 (64GB)||$999 (64GB)||$1,099 (64GB)|
|UK||£749 (64GB)||£999 (64GB)||£1,049 (64GB)|
|Australia||AU$1,229 (64GB)||AU$1,629 (64GB)||AU$1,799 (64GB)|
iPhone XS and XS Max quick specs
- Two sizes: 5.8-inch (458 ppi) and 6.5-inch (458 ppi), with OLED HDR screen (Super Retina displays)
- Colors: Gold, silver and space gray finishes
- Dual camera: 12-megapixel wide and telephoto lenses
- Front-facing cameras: 7-megapixel camera will bring depth to portrait mode photos
- A12 Bionic chip: 7-nanometer processor promises to launch apps 30 percent faster than 2017 iPhones
- Storage options: 64GB, 128GB, 512GB
- IP68 water-resistance rating (2 meters depth; up to 30 minutes in water)
- Battery life: iPhone XS should last 30 minutes longer than iPhone X; iPhone XS Max claims 1.5 hours longer than the iPhone X
- Dual-SIM card support through eSIM technology
- Face ID promises to work faster at unlocking the phones
- 3D Touch pressure-sensitive screen
- Stereo sound with a wider stereo field than 2017 iPhones
- iOS 12 software
- Pricing: Starts at $999 (£999, AU$1,629) for 64GB iPhone XS
iPhone XS and XS Max cameras
The iPhone XS and XS Max cameras share the same specs (see above), but don't be dismayed. Apple promises you'll get more from the camera than you did with the iPhone X, specifically because of the power of the A12 Bionic chip inside.
The camera's algorithms detect people's faces and bodies, and kick into instant red-eye reduction. Smart HDR can identify highlights and find shadow detail.
Even more interesting, you can now adjust the depth of a portrait mode photo (called the bokeh effect) after you take the photo, which gives you complete control over the blur. All editing happens in the Photos app through a slider.
iPhone XR specs: Apple's cheaper iPhone
- 6.1-inch LCD screen with 1,792x828-pixel resolution and 326ppi (Retina display)
- Aluminum body with glass back
- Single camera: 12-megapixel wide-angle lens, with OIS (same as iPhone XS)
- Storage options: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB
- Portrait mode photos through software
- FaceID with same True-Depth camera system as iPhone XS
- A12 Bionic chip
- Battery life claim: 1.5 hours more per day than the iPhone 8 Plus
- IP67 water resistance
- No 3D Touch on iPhone XR. Instead, you get haptic touch, like a trackpad
- iOS 12 software
- Colors: Blue, coral (pink), yellow, white, black, Product Red
- Price: Starts at $749 (£749, AU$1,229)
iPhone XR, XS, XS Max specs
||iPhone XS||iPhone XS Max||iPhone XR|
|Display size, resolution||5.8-inch Super Retina OLED; 2,436x1,125 pixels||6.5-inch Super Retina OLED; 2,688x1,242 pixels||6.1-inch LCD Retina Display; 1,792x828 pixels|
|Pixel density||458 ppi||458 ppi||326ppi|
|Dimensions (Inches)||5.7x2.8x0.3 in||6.2x3.0x.3 in||5.9x3.0x0.33 in|
|Dimensions (Millimeters)||143.6x70.9x7.7 mm||157.5x77.4x7.7 mm||150.9x75.7x8.3|
|Weight (Ounces, Grams)||6.24 oz; 177g||7.3oz; 208g||6.8oz; 194g|
|Mobile software||iOS 12||iOS 12||iOS 12|
|Camera||Dual 12-megapixel||Dual 12-megapixel||Single 12-megapixel|
|Front-facing camera||7-megapixel with Face ID||7-megapixel with Face ID||7-megapixel with Face ID|
|Processor||Apple A12 Bionic||Apple A12 Bionic||Apple A12 Bionic|
|Storage||64GB, 256GB, 512GB||64GB, 256GB, 512GB||64GB, 128GB, 256GB|
|Battery||N/A, but Apple claims it will last 30 min. longer than iPhone X||N/A, but Apple claims it will last 90 min. longer than iPhone X||N/A, but Apple claims it will last 90 min. longer than iPhone 8 Plus|
|Fingerprint sensor||None (Face ID)||None (Face ID)||None (Face ID)|
|Special features||Water-resistant (IP68); dual-SIM capabilities (nano-SIM and e-SIM); wireless charging; Face ID, Animoji||Water-resistant (IP68); dual-SIM capabilities (nano-SIM and e-SIM); wireless charging; Face ID, Animoji||Water-resistant: IP67, dual-SIM capabilities (nano-SIM and e-SIM); wireless charging; Face ID, Animoji|
|Price off-contract (USD)||$999 (64GB), $1,149 (256GB), $1,349 (512GB)||$1,099 (64GB), $1,249 (256GB), $1,449 (512GB)||$749 (64GB), $799 (128GB), $899 (256GB)|
: Our exhaustive coverage of Apple's latest event.
: How much are you really willing to spend on a phone?
reading•iPhone XS, XR, XS Max: Apple's three new iPhones replace the iPhone X
Nov 20•iPhone XS specs vs. XS Max, XR, X: What's new and different
Nov 1•Mac Mini: Apple's tiny desktop computer gets an all-new design
Nov 1•Apple's iPad Pro gets a giant makeover
Nov 1•MacBook Air 2018 now has a Retina display