Huawei refutes report it stripped back phone production amid US crackdown
Foxconn has received fewer orders for Huawei phones, the South China Morning Post reports. Huawei denies the claims, however.
Daniel Van BoomSenior Writer
Daniel Van Boom is an award-winning Senior Writer based in Sydney, Australia. Daniel Van Boom covers cryptocurrency, NFTs, culture and global issues. When not writing, Daniel Van Boom practices Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, reads as much as he can, and speaks about himself in the third person.
ExpertiseCryptocurrency, Culture, International News
, a Taiwanese company that manufacturers electronics from
and more, has axed several Huawei production lines after Huawei cut back orders, SCMP said, citing sources at Foxconn.
Huawei, however, says the report is false. "Huawei refutes these claims. Our global production levels are normal, with no notable adjustments in either direction," a spokesperson said to CNET.
Huawei's US woes have considerably worsened since the beginning of last year. In January of 2018 the US government pressured carriers like Verizon and AT&T to kibosh deals to carry Huawei's phones. Huawei was added to the US Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry and Security Entity List on May 15, following an executive order from President Donald Trump effectively banning Huawei from US communications networks.
Watch this: What is going on between Huawei and the US?
After overtaking Apple in shipment volume last year, Huawei was hoping to topple
to become the world's top-selling phone brand. That goal seems further and further out of Huawei's reach, as it seems every other day bears bad news for the company.
Originally published June 2. Update, June 3: Adds comment from Huawei.