Get to know the driver's assistance systems in the Volkswagen Atlas
Today we are in the 2018 Volkswagen Atlas in the SE with technology trim, which is Quite a coincidence, cuz I'm here to tell you all about the technology in Volkswagen's newest three row SUV.
Now this is the lowest trimline that you can get with all of those fancy driver aids that we all like, but they're all optional, not standard.
The Atlas does have adaptive cruise control and it will bring you to a complete stop.
It'll even pause for three seconds and then re-engage itself.
But, longer than three seconds, you've got to give a little tap on the gas.
I found it to be pretty smooth about 20% of the time but the other 80%, it was like this herky jerky whiplash back and forth so much so that I could actually hear the ABS engaging.
Frankly, it was kind of more stress inducing than it was worth.
The lane-keeping assist will give you a visual and audio warning if you stray out outside the line and it brings you back in pretty definitively.
I mean you can override by providing a little bit of force on to the steering wheel but it really really wants you to stay in the lane.
Fortunately if this is not your bag you can easily turn it off.
Volkswagen car-net is standard across all lines so every Atlas is going to have Apple carplay and Android Auto.
But, here's the weird thing, you have to step all the way up to the top of the line model to get any kind of need of navigation.
It's not available in this car which is called the SE with Technology.
I mean, that's the name of the trim line.
You would think it would have some native navigation but hey you got Apple play, you got Android auto its really not that big of a deal.
The menu on carnet is super easy to work with I really like that the radio stations are these huge preset buttons so there is no fumbling around for it.
There is one really strange feature on VW car net, and that's there's an images tile.
Like, am I just supposed to bring some kind of outside file to put into here so I can view my photos in my car's [UNKNOWN] system?
That doesn't make any sense.
And of course, Car-Net has got all of the things that you come to expect from an Infotainment system, like Bluetooth and media connectivity, so you can stream stuff from your phone, if you'd like to.
All in all, this system is really simple and easy to use.
There aren't a lot of menus and submenus, like in other German manufacturer's infotainments, not saying BMW, Audi, [COUGH].
No, instead here in Volkswagen, it's all simple, easy to use, easily laid out.
Ford Sync 3 in the 2018 Expedition features Amazon Alexa integration
See the tech inside the 2019 Toyota Avalon
2018 BMW M5 driving modes: Race-ready performance at your fingertips
Check out Volkswagen's Digital Cockpit tech in the 2019 Jetta
Hands-on with Jaguar InControl Touch Pro in the 2018 E-Pace
Breaking down the tech in the 2018 Land Rover Discovery
Check out the Nissan Connect tech in the 2018 Leaf EV
The Audi A4's Traffic Jam Assist tech makes commuting safer,...
A close look at the tech in the 2018 BMW X3
See the tech inside the 2018 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum