Samsung on Monday asked for a worldwide halt on sales and exchanges of its Galaxy Note 7 as investigations into its overheating issues continue.
"Samsung will ask all global partners to stop sales and exchanges of Galaxy Note 7 while further investigation takes place," the company said in a statement.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission, which is investigating reports of the handset catching fire or exploding, also advised Note 7 owners to power down and stop using their devices.
"No one should have to be concerned their phone will endanger them, their family or their property," CPSC Chairman Elliot F. Kaye said in a statement. "Due to the ongoing safety concerns associated with Galaxy Note 7 phones, it is the right move for Samsung to suspend the sale and exchange of all Galaxy Note 7s."
The announcement comes after Verizon, Sprint and Best Buy confirmed earlier in the day that they are no longer selling the replacement version of the Note 7, joining AT&T and T-Mobile, which both nixed the phone from their lineups on Sunday.
It's the latest development in what is increasingly a nightmare scenario for Samsung, which recalled Galaxy Note 7 devices worldwide after a battery flaw caused dozens of the phones to explode or burst into flames. Owners were encouraged to exchange their devices for newer ones that were said to correct the battery issue.
But Samsung's troubles have been compounded by reports that the replacement phones are experiencing similar problems. In the last week, there have been at least three reports of replacement handsets smoldering, one incident that forced the evacuation of a Southwest Airlines flight.