CNET Top 5
iPad AlternativesNo, not everyone buys an iPad. Here are five strong tablets that let you really think different(ly).
The iPad or new iPad or third iPad or whatever you want call it is the top selling single tablet model, by a lot. But you might be surprised to know that Apple could be down to less than 70% of the tablet market this year. So, whoÃ¯Â¿Â½s got the other 30%? IÃ¯Â¿Â½m B.C. here to show you: The Top 5 tablets that you should consider instead of the iPad. New iPad. iPad 3. Oh, whatever, letÃ¯Â¿Â½s go. #5 The Asus Eee Pad MeMo -- you know, the $250 7Ã¯Â¿Â½ tablet that won our Best of CES award for the tablet category a few months back. Not out just yet so we canÃ¯Â¿Â½t slot it by review score, but it makes the list on price and the fact that it is at least a cousin on the Transformer Prime which weÃ¯Â¿Â½ll meet later. Tegra 3 CPU, 12MP rear cam and ICS make us wonder is the price is a typo. #4 is the Amazon Kindle Fire. Yeah, #4 because it is missing a lot, like cameras, GPS and a mic. Not going to call it bad, because that $200 price and it being the only tablet that is wired into AmazonÃ¯Â¿Â½s DNA keeps it interesting. But I canÃ¯Â¿Â½t wait for Fire 2.0. #3 is the -Sony Tablet S. Yep, Sony actually makes something noteworthy aside from the PS3. Great design on this guy -- a little goofy at first, but just get one in your hand -- has SonyÃ¯Â¿Â½s burgeoning content ecosystem baked in an integrated IR remote, which is useful considering how many of us use tablets while wathcing TV. $399 for 16GB. #2 -This was a tough fight against the Sony, but we give the runner-up nod to the Samsung Galaxy Tab Family 10.1, 8.9, 7.7, one for every pocket & purse. Great screens across the board, excel at being thin and light and Samsung is steadily building real market share against Apple, so you can feel like youÃ¯Â¿Â½re buying into something that will have more than just collectible value tomorrow. Prices vary a lot by size and whether you buy on contract or not. #1 goes to the tablet that geeks ask me about the most: The Asus Transformer Prime TF700T -- you now, the one that just came out barely a month after the original Transformer Prime! Arrgghhh. Well gitcherÃ¯Â¿Â½ ass on eBay and sell the one you have because the TF700T has much improved 1900x1200 screen res on its 10Ã¯Â¿Â½ display, an HD front cam for high def video chat and a new back panel that Asus says will improve Wi-Fi, BT and GPS performance. Rolls out Q2 of 2012 with ICS for $600 for 32GB. It goes without saying that the tablet market is cuckoo. WeÃ¯Â¿Â½ve probably just reviewed 3 more models since I have been standing here. So you got to go check out cnet.com, check out the tablets link on the left, to get the lates. I am Brian Cooley, thanks for watching.