Galaxy Note 7 fires may be to blame on tight battery
There's a new theory on why the Galaxy Note 7 had overheating problems.
The battery may have been packed in the phone too tightly.
Samsung has yet to say what it thinks what the reason is for the exploding phones fiasco Ago that caused the company to recall all Note 7 phones but a manufacture and engineering company named Instrumental found something interesting when they took apart the phone.
They battery had no physical room for error with multiple potential risk factors that could result in a fire if anything went wrong.
For one, a phone batteries need to separate positive and negative layers.
The engineers the believe the separators may have been too thin.
Let's not forget, people sit on their phone and that's put strain on the frame.
The researcher said that kind of pressure would be enough to break a polymer separators.
Causing the positive and negative to touch and then, bam!
Pants on fire, you've got yourself an exploding phone.
Also, when batteries are charged, they swell a little.
Engineers usually give about 10% extra space o a battery.
But there was hardly any extra space for the Note 7. So you could theorize that in an attempt to push the boundaries to make things thinner with better battery life, Maybe Samsung was too aggressive in trying to be innovative.
In the report researchers wrote Samsung took a deliberate step towards danger.
And their existing test infrastructure and design validation process failed them.
They shipped a dangerous product.
For more tech news and advice on phones to buy that don't blow up head to cnet.com.
From our studios in New York I'm Bridget Carey.
The Ocean Cleanup's latest invention: Sunglasses made of recycled...
What is Section 230?
Windows 10 fall 2020 update: Here's what's new
5G: The next five years
See the first photos from the world's largest digital camera
A roadmap for AR and VR to achieve a breakthrough
NASA successfully lands Osiris-Rex spacecraft on an asteroid...
US DOJ sues Google
Evaluating the safety and effectiveness of UVC disinfection devices
Watch an endangered primate cross a rope bridge like a pro