As previously reported, many accessories that were compatible with the first-generation are not compatible with the iPhone 3G, either failing to charge the device or losing functionality completely.
We've compiled a list of incompatible devices based on user reports. If you have any to add, please let us know.
Will not charge the iPhone 3G: The explanation for this issue is as follows: most accessories on the market charge iPods/iPhones through either USB or a 12V connection that works through the FireWire portion of the pin connector. The latter method is cheaper, and hence more common. Apple has removed 12V (FireWire) charging from the iPhone 3G; this means that these devices are no longer able to deliver a charge. As such, some accessories will still perform their intended function, but fail to charge the iPhone.
- Alpine 9856
- Alpine KCE-422i Connection Cable
- Apple iPod HiFi
- Belkin Auto Kit for iPod with Dock Connector.
- BOSE SoundDock
- Dension ICE
- Homedics SoundSpa
- iTeufel Dock
- Kenwood KCA-IP 500 iPod Interface
- Monster car charger
- Monster FM tuner
- OEM iPod Connection Kit for several cars (Mazda 3, Scion XB, Audi)
- Onkyo docking cradle
- Pioneer D3
- Pioneer Elite AV receiver VSX-84TXSi
- Scion TC iPod connection
- SIRIUS Soloist Universal Sound System
- Sony XA-110IP iPod Interface Adapter
- Subaru Forester '09 iPod connection kit
- USB Fever iPod Direct Cigarette Plug FM Transmitter and charger
- VW OEM iPod adapter
Audio echo occurs with the iPhone 3G Several iPhone 3G owners are reporting an issue in which severe echoes are generated through car audio systems with which the phones are paired. Generally, the driver hears echoes while the call recipient does not. The issue affects iPhone 3G models running iPhone OS 2.0, but not first-generation iPhones running the same:
- 2007 Prius
- 2008 Nissan Altima
- 2008 Nissan Rogue
- 2008 Toyota Tundra
- Ford Focus with Microsoft Sync
- Infiniti G35
- Infiniti G37S
- Various BMWs
Broken or hampered iPhone 3G functionality Some accessories simply will not function with the iPhone 3G in any fashion while others have partial functionlality.
- 2008 Nissan Pathfinder via aux connection (device not recognized)
- Cardo Scala Bluetooth Headset (pairs, makes and receives calls, butdDOES
- NOT connect when listening to voice messages like it did on my 2.5G.