There are a number of solutions for streaming media (music, movies, etc.) to the iPhone and iPod touch, including a native application and several Web-based offerings. They all offer replicas of the standard mobile OS X iTunes interface, most making use of simple sliding-style navigation schemes. A new update to one of the Web-based tools, Remote Buddy, delivers the best implementation of iTunes streaming we've seen thus far.
One of the killer new features we haven't seen in other tools is the ability to playback complete playlists and albums automatically, and the new interface is beautiful.
Setting Remote Buddy up is fairly easy:
- Download the application and launch it, then select File > Preferences from the menubar.
- Click on Hardware then, on the left, choose Virtual Receiver
- Click the checkbox next to AJAX Remote to make it active
- AJAX Remote will appear on the left, with an iPhone icon. Select it.
- If a password is desired, click Require password and enter one.
- If you want to be able to view your Desktop on your iPhone, make sure that Allow viewing the desktop via the browser is checked
- Under Interfaces and URLs you can use to access AJAX Remote, you'll find the URLs you can use to access your Mac via your iPhone. In our case, two entries appeared and the second (en1) allowed a proper connection. To make sure it works, click one and press the Open in browser button.