If you're suffering from iPhone 4S envy, chances are you're stuck in a contract on a non-iPhone network such as T-Mobile. Now, according to a developer's post on Pastebin, users can unlock their iPhone 4S for use with any network, without any software or hardware hacks.
Before we get started, this is one of those workarounds that should be done with caution. As with any unauthorized cellular usage, charges incurred cannot be predicted. That being said, T-Mobile has been extremely iPhone user-friendly in the past, even offering official help pages on its Web site.
If you are attempting this and have already set up your iPhone 4S, you should definitely make a backup of all your data and settings before continuing.
- Insert original carrier AT&T SIM card
- Dial 611 for AT&T customer service hotline and drop the call
- Turn on Airplane mode
- Take out AT&T SIM card
- Insert T-Mobile SIM card
- Make sure Wi-Fi is off (also tap on "Forget this Network" to make sure it doesn't connect automatically later)
- Switch off Airplane mode and the iPhone will search for the network. This is followed by the Apple splash screen appearing.
- Activation Required will be displayed on the screen
- EDGE network will activate automatically--notice the "E" on the top left corner of the screen
- Wait for about 20-30 seconds and turn off the phone
- Turn on iPhone and the same Activation Required screen will be displayed
- When you see one signal bar, tap on Use Cellular Connection
- Eject SIM card
- Activation Required screen will be displayed the second time
- Insert SIM card
Of course, you can also purchase an unlocked iPhone 4S directly from Apple and avoid the mess.
I personally do not have access to the necessary components to test this unlock method. If any of our readers try this, post in the comments about your successes or issues!