If you're fortunate enough to live in an area with multiple internet service providers, you face a tough choice: Which ISP will provide the best home internet connection for the greatest value? Meanwhile, how can you connect to Wi-Fi for free while trying to make your decision?
Whether using your home internet connection for work, school or play, broadband has become a utility on par with electricity and water. Here at CNET, we've put together a cheat sheet full of our expert advice to help answer your most pressing home internet questions.
How do I choose a provider?
Picking an internet service provider isn't easy, especially these days when you have more options -- hello, 5G fixed wireless! -- than ever before. CNET has taken the time to examine some of the top ISPs in the country to help level the playing field for you. We can help you cut through the clutter to determine the right provider for you and what plans best fit your household's needs.
- Best Internet Service Providers
- Best Cheap Internet Providers
- Best Rural Internet Providers
- Best Satellite Internet Providers
- AT&T Home Internet Review
- Spectrum Home Internet Review
- T-Mobile Home Internet Review
- Verizon 5G Home Internet Review
- Verizon Fios Home Internet Review
- Verizon 5G Home Internet vs. T-Mobile Home Internet
Which Wi-Fi router is best for me?
Once you've decided on an ISP, you might consider choosing a router. We've tested dozens of routers over the last few years and can help you find what you're looking for -- whether it's a Wi-Fi 6 router, a mesh router system, a gaming router or a Wi-Fi extender system.
How can I save on my monthly internet bills?
Finding ways to save money is top of mind for most of us. Just as we might scrutinize how often we leave the lights on when trying to trim our electricity bill, we can explore ways to save a little money on our broadband service. Whether investing in a router or learning to better manage your data caps, we've got suggestions to help you save.
- 8 Tips for Saving Money on Your Monthly Internet Bills
- How to Uncover Hidden Fees and Outsmart Your Home Internet Provider
- Best Cheap Home Internet and TV Bundles
- Best Internet Deals for Seniors
- Best Student Deals and Discounts on Internet Service
- How to Unlock Savings of $34 or More Each Month on Your Internet Bill
- Save on Your Monthly Internet Bill by Using Your Own Modem and Router
- You Could Save up to $75 on Your Home Internet With This Federal Benefit
What can I do to speed up my Wi-Fi connection?
We all want to get the most out of what we pay for. But even if we're subscribing to our provider's fastest plan, we may not feel the effects of those zippy download speeds in our Wi-Fi. Here are some avenues to explore to see if your setup could be better maximized, or perhaps your ISP may be to blame.
- Improve Your Home Wi-Fi Speed in 4 Easy Steps
- Best Internet Speed Tests: Here's How Fast Your Internet Really Is
- Having Trouble With Your Wi-Fi? Your Router Might Be in the Wrong Place
- Slow Wi-Fi? Throttling Might Be the Problem
- How to Get a Stronger Wi-Fi Connection in Your Apartment
- How to Extend Your Wi-Fi Outdoors
Can I troubleshoot internet issues myself?
One way to save money (and time) is to learn how to diagnose problems independently without calling in professionals. We've got you covered, whether you're battling choppy video calls or simply trying to avoid the fee that comes with a technician visit.
- How to Fix Common Causes for Your Internet Outages
- Learn How to Self-Install Your New Internet Service
Is there a way to keep my Wi-Fi secure?
You might be well versed in spotting phishing scams but not as tuned into the dangers posed to your household's wireless broadband connections. Let CNET get you up to speed.
- Protect Your Home Wi-Fi Network From Hackers. Here's How
- Changing Your Wi-Fi Password Is Easy. Here's How to Do It
What else do I need to know about home internet?
Whether you're researching the best providers for unlimited data, the best ISPs in Chicago or whichever internet providers are available in your area, you can count on CNET to get the content you need.
- Xfinity Grabs Bragging Rights as Fastest Internet Provider in the US
- Consumer Reports Study Shows Monthly Broadband Bills Are Costly and Confusing
- I Have 5G on My Phone at Home, So Why Can't I Get 5G Home Internet?
- Starlink Explained: What You Need to Know about Elon Musk's Satellite Internet
- Yikes, Americans Really Despise Their Internet Service Providers
- Why I Ditched My 5G Home Internet and Went Back to Spectrum
Stay connected to CNET for more home internet insights and broadband updates.