CNET's Cheapskate scours the Web for great deals on PCs, phones, gadgets and much more. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our FAQ page. And find more great buys on the CNET Deals page.
I grew up listening to records, then cassette tapes, then CDs and finally MP3s. Many would say that as music evolved from analog to digital delivery systems, something was lost. Fidelity. Warmth. That certain je ne sais quoi.
That's why vinyl has been making a comeback the last few years. (Also because nostalgia.) During my recent trip to New York, I was surprised to see bins of LP records in big-name storefronts. Thankfully, I had not traveled back in time, which was my initial concern. New York in the 70s? No thank you.
If you're looking to revive the vinyl you've had packed away for the last few decades, you'll need a good turntable. And thanks to the fine folks at SoundStage Direct, you can win one. Let's call this The Cheapskate's Everything-Old-is-New-Vinyl-Again Sweepstakes. Grand prize: a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC turntable, which retails for $450.
Second prize: a $100 SoundStage Direct gift certificate. Third prize: a $50 certificate. (SoundStage sells both gear and records.)
So, how do you enter? Easy: Just hit the comments section and riddle me this: What's your take on vinyl: awesome and essential, or outdated and unnecessary? (Feel free to explain why as well.) Then vote in our poll and you're good to go!
The complete rules, along with obligatory legalese, are below. Good luck!
How to enter:
- Register as a CNET user by clicking Join CNET in the top-right corner of the page. If you're already registered, there's no need to register again -- you just need to be logged in.
- Go to the bottom of my blog post, click Show Comments, then answer this question: "What's your take on vinyl: awesome and essential, or outdated and unnecessary?" Then click Post Comment.
- Leave only one comment. You may enter for this specific giveaway only once. If you enter more than one comment, you will be automatically disqualified. The winners will be chosen randomly.
- If you are chosen, you will be notified by email. The winner must respond within three days of the end of the sweepstakes. If you do not respond within that period, another winner will be chosen.
- Entries can be submitted until Saturday, December 5, at 11:59 p.m. PT.
- *Some legalese: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open to legal residents of the US, 18 and older, and a registered user of CNET.com. Void where prohibited. Ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on 12/5/15. See rules for details.
Bonus deal: If you're in the market for a high-end camera, why not get a little something extra when you splurge? For a limited time, Tanga has the top-rated Fujifilm X-T10 digital camera for $999.99 shipped, a price that includes either a free GoPro Hero3+ or free iPad Mini 2. (Amazon sells the camera for the same price, but no freebie.)
Bonus deal 2: Calling all Mac users! Ending today, Parallels is offering seven free apps when you buy Parallels Desktop 11 for $79.99. With a total value of $440, the bundle includes goodies like 1Password, Evernote Premium, Pocket Premium and Camtasia.
Bonus deal 3: Calling all cord-cutters! Depending on where you live, an indoor antenna might be able to pull down all your local over-the-air channels. But rather than spending $35-40 on one, grab this: MDA Direct (via Rakuten) has the Liger Ultra-Thin Indoor Antenna for $14.99 shipped. Regular price: $45.99.