Lost phone? Check out these 4 ways Alexa can find it for you
Instead of flipping over every couch cushion and frantically throwing around bedsheets, use Amazon Echo to find your lost phone.
Katie TeagueWriter II
Katie is a writer covering all things how-to at CNET, with a focus on Social Security and notable events. When she's not writing, she enjoys playing in golf scrambles, practicing yoga and spending time on the lake.
ExpertisePersonal Finance: Social Security and taxes
I often misplace my phone in the house. It either slides down between the couch cushions or I forget which room I've left it in or it's tucked somewhere in the mess of blankets on my bed. Fortunately, I've found several easy ways to find it. All I had to do was set up these four features on my Amazon Echo.
You can start by adding an
skill that helps you find your phone by calling it or by using your IFTTT account to call your phone from your Echo device. Note that if your iPhone is on vibrate, you'll need to listen for the vibrations. If you use an Android, you'll have another option.
If you think you lost your phone outside your home, here's how to find your lost Android phone or your lost iPhone. But if you're prone to leaving it inside, here's how to help your future self.
2. Alexa will instruct you to call 415-212-4525. While you're on the phone with the voice bot, it'll tell you to ask Alexa what your PIN is. Enter the PIN on the phone that Alexa gives you.
3. Now you can say "Alexa, tell Cell Phone Finder to call me." Note that if your ringer isn't on, your phone will vibrate.
Have Alexa find, call and play music on your phone
In order to have Alexa do this, you'll need an IFTTT account. Here's how to set it up.
1. Log in or sign up, then click on the search bar at the top and type "Alexa."
2. There's a list of Alexa choices, and you'll want to click on all that apply. Some examples are Tell Alexa to find your phone, Hey Alexa, call my device and Alexa, play music on my phone.
3. For each one you select, click Connect.
4. Next, you'll be prompted to log in to your Amazon Alexa account and enter your phone number to have a PIN sent to you. Enter the code and tap Connect.
5. Now when your phone gets lost in the house, say, "Alexa, trigger find phone." (If your phone is on vibrate, you'll have to listen closely for the vibrations.)
Play a song on your Android phone
Alexa can play a song on your Android phone, but you'll need to make sure your volume is turned up. To do so, use IFTTT to turn up the volume on your Android phone when you send it a text.
Search for "turn on phone" and scroll through the applets until you find the option Text your lost Android phone to turn the ringer volume up 100%. Click Connect and then click Save. Now you can say "Alexa, text Katie lost phone" and your volume will be turned up.
Unfortunately, if your phone is connected to any Bluetooth speakers or headphones, it will play audio through those instead of its own speakers.