Netflix, for years, was notoriously tight-lipped about its viewership. But after a few years of dropping stats for some of its programming, Netflix launched a website in mid-November posting charts of its most popular shows and movies from the past week, as well as a global ranking of its .
The charts, which are updated every week and ranked by the, represent an unprecedented trove of data about what's popular on Netflix. The site details the most popular titles in the last week not only globally but also for more than 90 countries. And it's meant to help subscribers like you get a better sense of the biggest hits on the world's largest subscription streaming service, in the hopes you'll discover something new to watch.
The company updates its weekly "Top 10 on Netflix" every Tuesday, based on hours viewed from Monday through Sunday the previous week for original and licensed titles. The rankings are broken down into top 10 charts for films in English, TV in English, films in non-English languages and TV in non-English languages.
A ranking of all-time most watched titles also lives on the site, detailing shows that have the most viewing hours in their first 28 days of release. If a new season releases its episodes in two parts on different dates, Netflix counts the watch time of the first volume's episodes for their first 28 days, then it counts the watch time of the second volume's episodes for their first 28 days. These all-time rankings are also updated every Tuesday, whenever any programs make it into the charts during the week prior.
Netflix's most watched TV shows, ranked
The following are Netflix's most watched series, based on Netflix's own reporting of total hours viewed in the first 28 days of each titles' release. Again, if a new season releases its episodes in two volumes on different dates, Netflix counts the watch time of the first volume's episodes for their first 28 days, then it counts the watch time of the second volume's episodes for their first 28 days.
Any changes in the rankings from the previous week are in bold text.
- Stranger Things (season 4), a retro sci-fi series -- 1.35 billion hours.
- Money Heist (part 5), a Spanish-language thriller -- 792.2 million hours.
- Bridgerton (season 2), a period romance -- 656.3 million hours.
- Bridgerton (season 1) -- 625.5 million hours.
- Money Heist (part 4) -- 619 million hours.
- Stranger Things (season 3), a retro sci-fi series -- 582.1 million hours.
- Lucifer (season 5), a fantasy police procedural -- 569.5 million hours.
- All of Us Are Dead, a Korean zombie thriller taking place in a high school -- 560.8 million hours.
- The Witcher (season 1), a fantasy show -- 541 million hours.
- Inventing Anna, a true-crime limited series about a fake socialite -- 511.9 million hours
- 13 Reasons Why (season 2), a controversial teen drama -- 496.1 million hours.
- Ozark (season 4), a crime drama series -- 491.1 million hours.
- The Witcher (season 2) -- 484.3 million hours.
Additional high-ranking shows that have been bumped out of Netflix's official all-time charts:
- 13 Reasons Why (season 1) -- 475.6 million hours
- Maid, a limited series about a young mother fleeing abuse -- 469.1 million hours.
- You (season 3), a psychological thriller -- 467.8 million hours.
- You (season 2) -- 457.4 million hours.
- Stranger Things (season 2) -- 427.4 million hours.
- Money Heist (part 3) -- 426.4 million hours.
- Sex Education (season 3), a British teen dramedy -- 419 million hours.
- Money Heist (part 5) -- 395.1 million hours.
- Ginny & Georgia (season 1), a dramedy about a young mom and kids -- 381 million hours.
- Café con Aroma de Mujer (season 1), a Colombian telenovela -- 326.9 million hours.
- Lupin (part 1), a French heist show -- 316.8 million hours.
- Elite (season 3), a Spanish teen drama -- 275.3 million hours.
- Who Killed Sara? (season 1), a Mexican mystery thriller -- 266.4 million hours.
- Elite (season 4) -- 257.1 million hours.
- The Queen of Flow (season 2), a musical Colombian telenovela -- 230.3 million hours.
- Lupin (part 2) -- 214.1 million hours.
- Dark Desire (season 1), a Mexican dramatic thriller -- 213 million hours.
Netflix's most watched movies, ranked
The following are Netflix's most watched movies, based on Netflix's own reporting of total hours viewed in the first 28 days of each titles' release. Any changes are in bold text.
- Red Notice, an action movie starring Dwayne Johnson, Gal Gadot and Ryan Reynolds -- 364 million hours.
- Don't Look Up, a dark comedy with a star-packed cast -- 359.8 million hours.
- Bird Box, a post-apocalyptic movie starring Sandra Bullock -- 282 million hours.
- The Adam Project, a sci-fi adventure comedy -- 233.2 million hours.
- Extraction, an action movie starring Chris Hemsworth -- 231.3 million hours.
- The Unforgivable, a drama about a woman rebuilding her life after prison -- 214.7 million hours.
- The Irishman, a period Mafia epic directed by Martin Scorsese-- 214.6 million hours.
- The Kissing Booth 2, a teen rom-com sequel -- 209.3 million hours.
- 6 Underground, a Michael Bay explosion-fest starring Ryan Reynolds -- 205.5 million hours.
- Spenser Confidential, an action-comedy starring Mark Wahlberg -- 197.3 million hours.
Former top-ranking movies that have been bumped out of Netflix's official all-time charts:
- Enola Holmes, a period detective film -- 189.9 million hours.
- Army of the Dead, a heist set in a zombie apocalypse -- 187 million hours.
- The Old Guard, an action-thriller starring Charlize Theron -- 186 million hours.
- Murder Mystery, a comedy starring Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston -- 170 million hours.
Netflix appears to have never released a non-English-language film that generated enough viewing hours to make it into an overall top-watched ranking. But additional widely watched non-English language movies on Netflix have included:
- Blood Red Sky, a German/British action horror film set during a plane hijacking -- 110.5 million hours.
- The Platform, a Spanish social commentary wrapped in a horror film -- 108.1 million hours.
- Black Crab, a Swedish apocalyptic war thriller starring Noomi Rapace -- 94.1 million hours.
- Through My Window, a Spanish teen romance -- 92.4 million hours.
- The Takedown, a French cop comedy -- 78.6 million hours.
- Below Zero, a Spanish action thriller about a breakout from a prison transport vehicle -- 78.3 million hours.
- Rogue City, a French action thriller about an unorthodox team of cops -- 66.6 million hours.
- The Forgotten Battle, a Dutch World War II film -- 60.9 million hours.
- Restless, a French action thriller -- 59.1 million hours.
- Lost Bullet, like a Fast & Furious movie but French -- 58.3 million hours.
Former top-ranking non-English movies that have been bumped out of the top 10 include:
- Spoiled Brats, a French comedy about rich siblings tricked into earning their own living -- 56.9 million hours.
- #Alive, a South Korean movie about a gamer's bid to survive the zombie apocalypse -- 54.6 million hours.
- Space Sweepers, a South Korean space western with a weaponized child-android -- 53.3 million hours
- The Last Mercenary, a French action movie starring Jean-Claude Van Damme -- 52.1 million hours.
- Just Another Christmas, a Brazilian Christmas comedy -- 48 million hours.