Android users can now FaceTime iPhone users who have iOS 15.
Alison DeNisco RayomeManaging Editor
Managing Editor Alison DeNisco Rayome joined CNET in 2019, and is a member of the Home team. She is a co-lead of the CNET Tips and We Do the Math series, and manages the Home Tips series, testing out new hacks for cooking, cleaning and tinkering with all of the gadgets and appliances in your house. Alison was previously an editor at TechRepublic.
ExpertiseHome Tips, including cooking, cleaning and appliances hacksCredentials
National Silver Azbee Award for Impact/Investigative Journalism; National Gold Azbee Award for Online Single Topic Coverage by a Team; National Bronze Azbee Award for Web Feature Series
How do I start a FaceTime call with Android or Windows users?
The key here isn't that the FaceTime app is available on Android and Windows. It's that you're able to jump on a FaceTime call using a link, so long as the person scheduling or starting the call has an Apple device and an Apple account. If you're an Apple user and have downloaded iOS 15, here's how to get a FaceTime call started with people on Android or Windows devices.
1. Open the FaceTime app on your phone.
2. Tap Create Link.
3. A screen will slide up from the bottom that says FaceTime Link. You can click Add Name to enter a name for your chat.
4. On the same screen, you'll see options to share the link through text, email, Twitter, calendar or other apps you have on your phone. Or, you can copy and paste the link yourself.
5. To join the call yourself, tap the name of the chat you just created, and tap Join.
6. When the Android or Windows user clicks the link, it will take them to a waiting room where you can allow them to join the call by tapping a check next to their name.
How do I join a FaceTime call using Android or Windows?
To join a FaceTime call on an Android or Windows device, all you need is the link sent to you by the person with an Apple device. You don't need to download a separate app. Here's how to join a FaceTime call through a shared link.
1. Open the FaceTime link from wherever it was shared with you.
2. The link will open in your browser (you'll need the latest version of Chrome or Edge). Enter your name, and tap Continue.
3. The screen will say "Waiting to be let in" until the person who invited you approves you to join the call.
That's it! Happy video chatting.
Apple noted at WWDC in June that even on the web, FaceTime calls are always end-to-end encrypted.