You can play most PlayStation 4 games on the Sony console's excellent . But some publishers go a step further with the next-gen console, by allowing you to upgrade PS4 games to the PS5 versions for free. This lets you play with 4K dynamic resolution at 60 frames per second and delivers shorter loading times, making for smoother gaming experience with less waiting around.thanks to the
The most recent major game to brought the game to PS5 and Xbox Series X|S. Unfortunately, your save won't transfer from PS4 to PS5, so you'll have to start afresh. (Xbox saves will transfer.)is , which stirred up controversy when it was released in 2020 due to . Developer CD Projekt Red released Patch 1.5 on Feb. 15, adding a bunch of new features, and
The Resident Evil 2 remake, the and Resident Evil 7 will be coming to PS5 and Xbox Series X|S later this year, Capcom revealed. All three will add ray tracing, high frame rate and 3D audio, along haptic feedback and adaptive trigger support for DualSense.
Getting to next-gen
The PS5 has beenat retailers since it launched in 2020. The digital-only model costs $400, and the one with a disc drive is $500.
Your game upgrades won't happen automatically or through a typical game update, so it's easy to accidentally keep playing the PS4 version of a game on your new PS5. You have to go to the game page on the PlayStation Network and choose to upgrade to the PS5 version. That'll download the extra data needed for the next-gen features.
You can also upgrade to PS5 versions if you have a physical PS4 game, as long as you bought the PS5 with a disc drive. You'll always need to use the PS4 disc to play the PS5 version; upgrading doesn't get you a free digital copy of the game. You'll still download the PS5 update from the PSN, but you won't need a PS5-specific disc -- your PS4 one will become an authenticator.
If you opted for the digital-only PS5 and have a disc, you're out of luck. There are a few more limitations and caveats:
- Some PS5 versions of current PS4 games aren't out yet.
- Next-gen versions will be bigger files, so they'll take up more precious memory on the console's SSD.
- You'll end up with a fresh list of trophies (each version's list is separate).
- A few games' saves won't transfer, and some require you to upload your save manually from the PS4 version before you can access it on PS5.
- Some game upgrades are available only in cross-gen bundles or special editions.
First-party policy change
Sony initially said upcoming exclusive Horizon Forbidden West wouldn't let you upgrade from the PS4 to the PS5 version for free unless you bought the . It later reversed course, saying anyone who bought the PS4 version would be entitled to a free PS5 upgrade.
However, PlayStation boss Jim Ryan also confirmed that upgrading future first-party games will come at a price.
"Moving forward, PlayStation first-party exclusive cross-gen titles (newly releasing on PS4 & PS5)-both digital and physical*-will offer a $10 digital upgrade option from PS4 to PS5," he wrote a blog post. "This will apply to the next God of War and Gran Turismo 7, and any other exclusive cross-gen PS4 & PS5 title published by Sony Interactive Entertainment."
Free upgrades you can get now
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla
- Atelier Ryza 2
- Borderlands 3
- Cyberpunk 2077 (PS4 save doesn't transfer)
- Dead by Daylight
- Destiny 2
- DIRT 5
- Doom Eternal (save )
- FIFA 21
- Guilty Gear Strive
- Hitman 3 (digital version only)
- Immortals Fenyx Rising
- Kena: Bridge of Spirits
- King Oddball
- Little Nightmares 2
- Madden NFL 21
- Metro Exodus
- Mortal Kombat 11
- No Man's Sky
- Planet Coaster
- Praey for the Gods
- RIDE 4
- Riders Republic
- Sackboy: A Big Adventure
- The Pathless
- The Elder Scrolls Online
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
- Watch Dogs Legion
- WRC 9
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Some upgrades will require you to pay or buy a specific (more expensive) version of the game:
- is upgradable only if you buy the $70 cross-gen bundle or the $90 Ultimate Edition. The PS5 version costs $70; the PS4 version is $60.
- Death Stranding Director's Cut costs $10 if you upgrade from the PS4 version.
- costs $30 if you upgrade from .
- Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered is available only with the $70 Miles Morales Ultimate Edition. It's not technically an upgrade, but you'll be able to transfer your save from the PS4 version.
Upcoming free upgrades
- Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom -- To be announced.
- Resident Evil 2 -- To be announced 2022.
- -- To be announced 2022.
- Resident Evil 7 -- To be announced 2022.
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt -- To be announced.
This list will be updated as more upgrades become available or are announced.