Watch this: How to turn your old iPod into a security camera for free
Manything is a free iOS app that lets you convert a spare iPod Touch, iPad, or iPhone into a video surveillance camera. The next part is up to you: either use a second device to view footage remotely and receive alerts and Cloud-saved clips based on motion activity, or simply track what's happening on the Manything Web app. Basically, it works like an IP camera without requiring a separate purchase.
1. Download the Manything app on your iOS device or devices.
2. Launch the app and register through Facebook or email.
3. Log in and select "Record using this device" on the device you want use as your at-home security cam.
4. Select "View my cameras" on your second Apple device for remote live monitoring and to receive push notifications and email alerts on-the-go. This is optional, since you can also use the Manything Web app to watch video live, access recorded clips, and make adjustments to your settings.
Manything has your home-security needs covered (pictures)
5. You can either stop here (and get started using Manything's basic video monitoring on your iOS device) or launch IFTTT to create the Manything/Belkin WeMo Switch recipe.
6. Select Manything as your "If" and the Belkin WeMo Switch as your "Then" to create the following recipe: "If my iPod Touch/iPad/iPhone detects motion, then turn my WeMo Switch on then off."
7. Now you can sit back and let Manything and IFTTT send you notifications based on motion triggers -- and all for free (assuming you already have a spare iOS device kicking around at home and other IFTTT-compatible gadgets like Belkin WeMo Switches or Philips Hue LEDs).