Permanently Delete Your X Account in 5 Steps: Elon Musk Boosting Antisemitic Tweet Causes Growing Boycott
To completely leave the social network formerly known as Twitter, here's how to deactivate your account.
Katie TeagueWriter II
Katie is a writer covering all things how-to at CNET, with a focus on Social Security and notable events. When she's not writing, she enjoys playing in golf scrambles, practicing yoga and spending time on the lake.
ExpertisePersonal Finance: Social Security and taxes
Nelson Aguilar is an LA-based tech how-to writer and graduate of UCLA. With more than a decade of experience, he covers Apple and Google and writes on iPhone and Android features, privacy and security settings and more.
Ads from IBM, Apple and other companies have reportedly appeared next to pro-Nazi content on the site, according to The Associated Press. The boycott comes as studies have found that hate speech has increased on the social media platform since Musk bought the company last year. X didn't respond to a request for comment.
Here's how to delete your X account from your phone. Note that before you close your account, you may want to create an archive of your tweets. And if you're interested, we also know how to download all your posts.
1. Sign in to your X account and tap your profile icon.
2. In the side menu, scroll down and tap Settings and Support, then select Settings and privacy.
3. Select Your account > Deactivate your account.
4. Tap Deactivate.
5. You'll be prompted to enter your password and tap Deactivate to confirm.
If you change your mind, you can restore your account for up to 30 days after you deactivate it. However, deactivating your account is not deleting your account. If you want to delete your account, you simply need to not access your account within the 30-day deactivation period. After the 30 days, your account will be deleted and your username will no longer be associated with your account.
2. On the left menu, select More > Settings and privacy.
3. Under the Your Account section, click Deactivate your account.
4. Click Deactivate.
5. You'll then be prompted to enter your password, and then you'll confirm you want to proceed by clicking Deactivate account.
If you change your mind, see below for how to undo your account deactivation. If not, your account will be deleted after 30 days.
Unlink any third-party apps from your X account
While you may have clicked the button to deactivate your account, X notes that third-party apps can reactivate your account when you sign in to them. To prevent this from happening, you'll need to revoke third-party app access to your X account, such as those that automatically delete old posts.
To get started, sign in to your X account and go to Settings and privacy > Security and account access > Apps and sessions > Connected apps. You'll then select each app one at a time and click Revoke app permissions.
How to reactivate your X account
If you change your mind, you can always reactivate your account for up to 30 days. Here's what to do.
1. Log in to your X account.
2. You'll see a notice asking if you'd like to reactivate your account. If you select yes, you'll be redirected to your X home timeline. Note that it could take a while for your posts and followers to be restored.