Our Weekly Utilities Update report is a list of all the updates for many Mac utilities that have been released in the past week. While utilities can be any tool that helps you perform a routine task (including image manipulation and synchronization), our main focus in this column is to bring you those that help in troubleshooting Mac hardware and software problems. This week's updates include file and data salvage utilities from SubRosaSoft, and the Hardware Monitor utilities and supporting programs from Marcel Bresink.
The Hardware Monitor suite from Marcel Bresink has been updated. The suite includes Temperature Monitor and Hardware Monitor along with supporting widgets and remote interface add-ons to enhance the convenience of these programs. The updates add support for the new 27-inch iMac and corrects a few minor bugs. It is only a small update but if you want to use this on a new 27-inch iMac, then this update will be required.
File and data recovery
The various "Salvage" utilities from SubRosaSoft have been updated to add support for Snow Leopard. These utilities are useful for fixing data loss on external devices such as iPods and digital cameras. In addition they have an "OfficeSalvage" utility that is a general file recovery utility for internal hard drives.
Beyond hardware testing and file recovery software, there are a few updates to utilities for managing preferences and other items in the user library. Print Therapy for Snow Leopard has been updated. This utility fixes various problems with the print system that may crop up over time, offering a more thorough approach to fixing print problems than resetting the print system.
Recently updated utilities
- Remote Control Diagnostics 1.0: Helps you identify possible error sources when your Apple Remote isn't working.
- Hardware Monitor Remote 4.85: Monitor remote hardware sensors.
- Hardware Monitor Widget 2.85: Shows hardware sensor readings.
- Hardware Monitor 4.85: Read out accessible hardware sensors.
- Temperature Monitor 4.85: Displays all accessible temperature sensors.
- Print Therapy (Snow Leopard) 7.0.1 SLE: Repair the printing system problems in the Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
- Contents 1.0.1: Keep your Mac clean on the inside.
- Compressor Repair 1.2.1: Finds problems that prevent Apple Compressor from working.
- Preference Manager 2.0.5: Trash, back up, and restore your Final Cut Studio preference files.
- CameraSalvage 7.0: Data recovery digital photo undelete secure erase.
- PodSalvage 7.0.1: Recover deleted and lost music files from your iPod.
- OfficeSalvage 7.0: Recover and rescue your files from your Mac computers.
Questions? Comments? Post them below or email us!
Be sure to check us out on Twitter and the CNET Mac forums.