3GHz G5 not coming soon MacCentral reports that due to "challenges moving to 90 nanometer" processors, Apple will not be able to fulfill Steve Jobs' promise that 3GHz Power Mac G5 models would be available "within a year" of the 2003 WWDC keynote. The story also notes that G5-based iMacs and PowerBooks are not expected any time soon. More.
Internet Explorer hole looks familar to Mac users A Computerworld article covers a newly discovered vulnerability in Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser for Windows that sounds strangely familiar to Mac users who have been following recent OS X security issues: "In simple terms, the link uses an unknown vulnerability to open up a local Explorer help file...It delays executing anything immediately but instead uses another unknown vulnerability to run another file which in turn runs some script. This script is then used to run more script. And finally that script is used to run an exploit...The problem comes in the fact that the Help file initially opened is assumed to be safe since it is a local file and so has minimal security restrictions." More.
Apple hits high note with AirPort Express A Business Week article has positive things to say about Apple's recent AirPort Express announcement: "That usability gap is where the Express truly shines. Rather than reinvent the wheel, Apple has just added some new twists to make the router an extension of the already popular iTunes and iPod famly." More.
A love letter to an iPod mini A PC Magazine article sings the praises of Apple's mini music player: "It's time for other music player manufacturers to stop messing around, buy a few iPods (Mini and original) and analyze them top to bottom to understand why they're so good and everything else is so average. Is it that hard for Creative, Dell, and others to hire decent industrial designers?" More.
Previously on MacFixIt:
- Apple Updates Power Mac G5 line
- Mac OS X 10.3.4 #11: iBook mics; audio issues; preference files; new .rc file
- Security Update 2004-06-07: Clarification of protection; 10.3.3 version; general issues; more
- Mail: Cannot download POP3 messages with empty message body?
- Office 2004: Envelope issues; Word and Small Caps; Word stability issues
- Odds and Ends: Disk utility comparison updated; Knowledge Base updates
- Utilities Updates: Net Monitor; VolumeWorks; XPostFacto; Sync Entourage-iCal; DoubleCommand
- New and Noteworthy: VT G5s win award; Apple one of 10 best sites; Fred Anderson added to Apple board; Apple created a PDA