Several users report problems playing animated GIFs after the update to Mac OS X 10.4.4. One MacFixIt reader reports that only animated GIFs with instant (0 second) frame-buffer settings exhibit the issue.
The reader writes:
"An animated GIF on one of my websites stopped working after Mac OS X 10.4.4. It would run as before in Firefox and IE, but not Safari 2.0.3 (417.8).
"The GIF was made with Adobe ImageReady. This particular GIF had some of the frames frames set to 0 seconds (instant). I changed the time of those frames to .1 seconds, and the gif now plays correctly."
"Only animated gifs with 0 delay frames seemed affected."
- Release Notes
- Upgrade procedure recommendation; General purpose workarounds; more
- Memory/RAM not recognized; fixes
- Fast User Switching bugs
- Problems with installer packages
- MySQL broken, fix
- iChat AV problems
- Mail.app crashes
- Kernel panics caused by USB devices
- Bluetooth issues
- Processor upgrade card issues
- Password problems
- Problems launching Final Cut Pro
- Software Update issues
- Fujitsu MO drives not mounting, other issues
- Animated GIF issues
- Reverting (downgrading) to Mac OS X 10.4.3
- FireWire issues; fixes
- Loss of keyboard audio volume control; fixes
- Other sound issues
- RSS feeds not working in Safari; fixes
- Wake-from-sleep issues
- TurboTax 2005 issues
- Windows sharing issues
- Acard-connected drives unmountable, other issues
- Active Directory issues; fixes
- Inexplicably booting into Open Firmware mode
- Loss of internal speakers