iPods are made to be played. But, when your battery doesn't hold up like it used to, it's easy to assume something is wrong. If you're feeling the battery blues, run this test to see if your battery is actually bad, or if you can recover like-new performance:
- Begin the test with your iPod fully charged and be sure you have the latest version of iTunes and your iPod's software.
- Open iTunes and insert a CD with average length tracks--generally 3 to 8 minutes.
- Choose to Import the CD with using the MP3 Encoder set at 160 kbps or the ACC Encoder set at 128 kbps. Create a new Playlist in iTunes and transfer the newly imported tracks.
- Connect your fully charged iPod and transfer the newly created list to it. Eject your iPod and disconnect it from your computer.
- For an iPod Shuffle, connect a set of headphones, turn the iPod Shuffle on, and press play to begin playing the album you just created.
- Continue playing the same album, without interruption, until the iPod battery is dead.
- Record the start time and time when the battery is depleted and calculate the total play time of your iPod.
For any other iPod model, choose Settings from the main menu, set "Repeat" to "All," set "Backlight" to "Off," set "EQ" to "Off," select a song from the album you just imported, press play, and set the volume to half.
If you find that your battery life is not as it should be, check out some of the tips and tricks from this Apple KB article, including:
- Use the hold switch.
- Keep your iPod at room temperature whenever possible.
- Charge your iPod out of its case.
- Charge your iPod if it has been completely depleted, even if you won't need it right away.
- Turn off backlighting, the EQ feature, and avoid switching tracks manually whenever possible. Frequently switching tracks (or fast-forwarding and rewinding) makes the iPod hard drive spin which drains battery power quicker.
- Use compressed tracks.
All the latest Apple news, featuring developments on the iPhone, iPad, Macbooks, OS X and much more.
May 28iPhone 8: Everything we know so far about the 10th-anniversary edition of Apple's historic phone
May 28All of the iPhone 8's rumored features brought to life in beautiful concept designs
May 28Woz: Tesla, not Apple, will have the next tech moonshot
May 26The iPhone 8 could unlock when you press the screen