CNET's Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on PCs, phones, gadgets and much more. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our FAQ page. And find more great buys on the CNET Deals page.
If there's a tech gadget I love as much as drones and Bluetooth speakers, it's a 3D printer. Because what could be cooler than a gizmo that turns a spool of plastic filament into nearly any object you want? (Answer: one that flies, of course. And has a built-in speaker.)
Alas, 3D printer deals tend to be few and far between. But here's a deal that's even better than a deal: a chance to win one absolutely free.
The awesome folks at M3D are offering Cheapskate readers an exclusive giveaway with singularly awesome prizes:
Grand prize: M3D Pro printer and five spools of Tough 3D filament.
Runners-up (2): Micro+ printer and two spools of Tough 3D.
I've long been a fan of M3D's printer designs: sleek, square and shiny, with a spool compartment embedded in the bottom so you don't have to look at that ugly thing. Indeed, these look way more appliance-like and less industrial than most 3D printers -- they are the kind of accessory that's an aesthetic asset to your desk.
The Pro in particular, which is brand new, ups the ante with a heated print bed and faster, more precise operation than first-gen models. It normally sells for $749, not including the filament.
So enter to win! All you have to do is leave a comment answering this question:
"What was the 'a-ha!' moment when you realized you wanted a 3D printer?"
For me, of course, it was when I realized I could print unlimited Starship Enterprise models.
Check out the complete rules below for more details. And if you're up for it, please vote in our poll as well!
How to enter:
- Register as a CNET user (by clicking the head icon in the top-right corner of the page, then Join CNET). If you're already registered, there's no need to register again -- you just need to be logged in.
- Locate the comments section, then answer this question: "What was the 'a-ha!' moment when you realized you wanted a 3D printer?" Then click Post Comment.
- Leave only one comment. You may enter for this specific giveaway only once. If you enter more than one comment, you will be automatically disqualified. The winners will be chosen randomly.
- If you are chosen, you will be notified via email. The winner must respond within three days of the end of the sweepstakes. If you do not respond within that period, another winner will be chosen.
- Entries can be submitted until Saturday, June 3, at 11:59 p.m. PT.
- Some legalese: *NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open to legal residents of the US, 18 and older, and a registered user of CNET.com. Void where prohibited. Ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on June 3, 2017. See rules for details.