Lay the JBL Flip 5 next to last year's Flip 4 like I did at this year's CES in Las Vegas and you'll notice that the Flip 5 looks pretty similar but is slightly bigger than its predecessor. That increased size has allowed JBL's engineers to equip the Flip 5 with a larger battery and more power so that it delivers a little bigger sound. It also now has USB-C charging for quicker battery charging.
Like its predecessor, the JBL Flip 5 is fully waterproof, has a buillt-in microphone for speakerphone calls and comes in multiple color options. It'll ship this spring for $100 and should gradually come down in price over the course of the year.
I'll have a full review shortly before it hits stores.
JBL Flip 5 key features
- Wireless Bluetooth streaming: Wirelessly connect to any smartphone or tablet with Bluetooth
- Built-in 4800mAh rechargeable Li-ion battery supports up to 12 hours of continuous playtime
- IPX7 Waterproof: Can be fully submersed in water
- Improved bass performance
- USB-C charging
- Built-in speakerphone allows you to take calls with the touch of a button
- Price: $100
- Shipping this spring
CES 2019: See all of CNET's coverage of the year's biggest tech show.
CES schedule: It's six days of jam-packed events. Here's what to expect.