Kobo's latest Aura e-readers have one big competitive advantage over Amazon's Kindle range. Just like Barnes & Noble's Nook GlowLight Plus, they're fully waterproof. Now the Canadian company, which is owned by Rakuten, has made some improvements to its original Aura H20 and reissued it as the "new" Aura H20 Edition 2. It's shipping soon and will cost $180, £150 or AU$240.
The new version of the Aura H20 is essentially a shrunken Aura One that features a larger 7.8-inch screen compared to the Aura H20 Edition 2's 6.8-inch screen. Like the Aura One, the updated H20 has a rubberized back that's designed to be more grippy than the smooth plastic back of the original H20.
The new Aura H20 has very similar specs to the Aura One, getting a bump to 8GB of internal memory and the same ComfortLight Pro lighting scheme found in its larger sibling.
We'll post a full review of the Aura H20 Edition 2 after we spend some time with it. For now, here's a look at its key specs.
Specs and features
- 6.8-inch Carta E Ink touchscreen, 265 ppi
- 129x172x8.9 mm, 210g
- Connects via Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n and Micro USB
- Processor: Freescale SoloLite iMx6 1Ghz
- Fully adjustable built-in ComfortLight PRO technology
- HZO Protection meets IPX8 rating, so it's waterproof for up to 60 minutes in up to 2m of water
- 8GB of internal memory stores more than 6000 eBooks)
- Weeks of battery life on a single charge
- Includes access to Kobo's eBookstore with over 5 million titles
- TypeGenius feature offers 11 fonts in 50 sizes, plus exclusive weight and sharpness settings
- Supported eBook formats: EPUB, EPUB3, PDF and MOBI
- Supported images: JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP and TIFF
- Supported text: TXT, HTML, XHTML and RTF
- Supported comic book formats: CBZ and CBR
- Languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese, Italian, Portuguese and Turkish
- Price: $180, £150 or AU$240