PlayStation Europe boss Jim Ryan feels "extremely comfortable" with the price of the PlayStation VR device. He says in a new interview that Sony gave much thought to the price point with the hope that it could represent a "good value" for consumers.
"I am extremely comfortable with the RRP," Ryan told MCV. "These are obviously decisions that we think about hugely; we always do. We always try to represent good value in our pricing, and we think we have done that with PlayStation VR."
PlayStation VR will sell for $400 in the US, €400 in Europe, £350 in the United Kingdom, $550 in Australia, and ¥44,980 in Japan. This is the price for the device alone. PlayStation VR also requires a PlayStation Camera ($60), while some games also make use of Move controllers, which are sold separately.
MCV also asked Ryan if he expects Sony to be able to meet demand, a potential concern, considering some retailers some through their preorder stock very quickly.
"It's hard to tell," Ryan said. "The news on preorders is extremely encouraging, but I'd be very wary about extrapolating how we'll do through to launch based on less than 24 hours. I would say that the early preorders has surpassed our initial expectations.
"So that suggests demand, and therefore day one, might be quite significant."
MCV's interview with Ryan covers even more virtual reality topics, including how Sony plans to go about marketing the headset and more. Go read it here.
PlayStation VR launches this October. You can preorder a Launch Bundle now, while preorders for the standalone headset will open on March 29.
Further Reading: All the PlayStation VR news and reaction
- PlayStation VR release date
- PlayStation VR price
- $400 PlayStation VR requires $60 PS4 Camera
- PlayStation VR bundle with camera and controller confirmed
- PSVR price delivers profit at each sale, Sony exec claims
- All PlayStation VR games confirmed so far
- All PS4 games can be played in PlayStation VR
- Star Wars Battlefront experience coming to PlayStation VR
- Ubisoft announces Werewolf VR game
- Here's all the game devs supporting PlayStation VR
- PlayStation VR sold out in minutes on Amazon UK
- Oculus VR founder says $400 PlayStation VR is "a totally fair price"
- PlayStation VR sales could hit 1.6 million units, analyst claims