Holiday items won't ship in time? Use Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Apple curbside pickup
With Christmas just days away, shipping deadlines are expiring. Learn how curbside pickup at major stores might save your holiday.
Katie TeagueWriter II
Katie is a writer covering all things how-to at CNET, with a focus on Social Security and notable events. When she's not writing, she enjoys playing in golf scrambles, practicing yoga and spending time on the lake.
ExpertisePersonal Finance: Social Security and taxes
If you were hoping to have your holiday gifts delivered on time for Christmas, know that ground shipping deadlines for USPS, FedEx and UPS have passed. That means it's time to consider other ways your Christmas gifts can end up under the tree. There are only a few days left to get your Christmas shopping done, which means making a trip to the store will likely be necessary.
Curbside pickup, offered by several major retailers, lets you skip the crowded stores and long checkout lines -- a major benefit as the omicron variant of COVID-19 surges across the US. You order online and quickly get your items delivered to your car. We'll explain how to schedule a curbside pickup for Target, Walmart, Apple and Best Buy.
Watch this: Holiday shopping tips to get the most out of your gift buying budget
Target Drive Up
Target offers free drive-up pickup, but you have to order using its mobile app. Here's how it works.
1. Open the Target app on your phone or tablet and select the store you're picking up your items from.
2. Add items to your cart for pickup.
3. After you check out, Target will send you a notification letting you know your order is ready to be picked up. From here, you'll need to select Drive Up as your pickup method.
4. When you're ready to pick up your purchase, use the app to let Target know when you're coming and what vehicle you'll be in.
5. Once you make it to the store, park in one of the designated Drive Up spots and let Target know you're there and how they should load your car (for instance, in your trunk). You won't have direct contact with the employee.
2. Before adding it to your cart, select a store to pick your device up. (You can do the same thing on the Apple Store app, which if you allow it to use your location will show the nearest store.) It'll say if curbside pickup is available for that store. Tap Continue.
3. Add the item to your bag and check out.
4. Apple will send you a notification email when your order is ready to be picked up. When you arrive at the store, park in a spot designated for pickup and call the store to let them know you're there.
5. An employee will check your ID and will need to see your order number before they hand your package over.