Teardowns of Apple's Verizon iPhone 4 reveal a Qualcomm "world mode" chip and redesigned antenna, among other modifications to the heretofore AT&T-only phone.
Foremost of these changes is the Qualcomm MDM6600 chip--a first for an Apple phone. That is the same chip that's being used in the Droid Pro world phone, which enables the Droid to support both CDMA and GSM. But, for now, that capability in the iPhone remains a latent, untapped potential.
Other Verizon iPhone 4 iFixit teardown highlights:
- Battery: the battery can be removed "fairly easily once you circumvent Apple's pesky Pentalobe screws," iFixit said.
- Antenna: an additional notch in the antenna enclosure on the right side of the phone is a result of the switch from GSM to CDMA. "Only time will tell if this new antenna design helps combat the
- Display: the display assembly is different from the GSM iPhone 4. The mounting tabs are in different locations for the two display assemblies. Upshot: the two assemblies are not interchangeable.
- Rubber pads: Apple used custom-molded rubber pads between the chips and the EMI shields. "Presumably to conduct heat and quell any interference between analog and digital circuitry."
- Chips: Other high-profile silicon, in addition to the Qualcomm MDM6600, include Apple's A4 chip (of course) and Texas Instruments touchscreen controller (343S0499).
The Verizon iPhone 4 earned a Repairability Score of 6 out of 10, iFixit said. Aside from the battery's annoying Pentalobe screws, "other components are connected mostly with regular screws, with limited use of tabs and adhesives."
iFixit also notes that the SIM card and SIM tray were the only user-serviceable parts in the AT&T iPhone 4. "Sadly, now the Verizon iPhone does not contain any user-serviceable parts."
All the latest Apple news, featuring developments on the iPhone, iPad, Macbooks, OS X and much more.
May 28iPhone 8: Everything we know so far about the 10th-anniversary edition of Apple's historic phone
May 28All of the iPhone 8's rumored features brought to life in beautiful concept designs
May 28Woz: Tesla, not Apple, will have the next tech moonshot
May 26The iPhone 8 could unlock when you press the screen