Several technology conferences will be held this week, including the 3G Challenge, which will examine the transition from 2G, or second-generation wireless networks, to third-generation networks.
With their much higher bandwidth, 3G systems are expected to enable many new wireless applications, including full-motion video. 3G systems have garnered considerable attention lately as companies present prototypes and discuss products compatible with the advanced technology.
Samsung Electronics last week announced the release of a cell phone capable of streaming video that would work on 2G networks. What has been holding back other companies from creating similar products is the fact that 3G networks are believed to be years away from penetrating the mainstream.
The conference will explore the technology necessary to offer mobile videoconferencing, electronic cash, global positioning, music downloading and other services. Representatives from Lucent Technologies, Motorola and Ericsson will speak at the conference.
Other events scheduled this week:
Tuesday, Nov. 28
- Web-based Training: Utilizing the
Internet and Intranets to Train Employees will take place at the Pan Pacific Hotel in San Francisco.
- The 3G Challenge will take place at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort in San Diego from Nov. 28-30.
- Fall 2000 Presence and Instant Messaging will take place at the Marriott Hotel in Santa Clara,
Calif., Nov. 28-29. The events will address the latest business opportunities and issues surrounding instant messaging.
- The Western Cable 2000 show will take place at the Los Angeles Convention Center from Nov.
28-Dec. 1. The conference will showcase the latest in digital video, high-speed Internet and voice-over-Internet technologies.
- The B2B Summit will take place at the Amelia Island Plantation in Florida from Nov. 28-Dec. 2. Experts will discuss issues such as communities, services, procurement, content and analysis in the business-to-business sector.
Wednesday, Nov. 29
- Conducting Business in the eMillennium will take place at the Westin Waltham in Waltham, Mass., from 7:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. Talks will cover how to create and participate in Net markets.
Monday, Nov. 27
- Busybox.com produces and distributes digital video via the Internet. Per-share consensus estimate: N/A.
- SoftNet Systems provides high-speed Internet access through cable lines. Per-share consensus estimate: N/A.
- Veritas Software makes storage management software. The company, which recently hired former Oracle executive Gary Bloom as its CEO, will host a midquarter financial update.
- PetsMart sells pet products in stores, through catalogs and on the Internet. Per-share consensus estimate: 7 cents.
- ADC Telecommunications makes hardware and software used in the construction of communications networks. Per-share consensus estimate: N/A.
- NetSilicon makes microprocessors and software that connect electronic devices through networks. Per-share consensus estimate: 4 cents.
Monday, Nov. 27
- Existing Home Sales represents the number of homes sold nationwide. The Federal Reserve watches these types of indicators to determine whether the economy is heating up or cooling down.
- Durable Goods Orders will be reported for the month of October. This figure measures purchases of big-ticket items such as washing machines and refrigerators.
- Consumer Confidence will be reported for the month of November.
This figure, measured by an index, represents consumer sentiment toward the
- Gross Domestic Product numbers will be revised and released
for the third quarter. GDP represents the nation's total output of goods and services.
- Personal Income shows the monthly percentage change in household
income as measured by the Commerce Department.
- Initial Claims refers to the number of people who file for
unemployment benefits each week as reported by the Department of Labor.
Claims will be reported for the week of Nov. 25.
- Nonfarm Payroll represents the change in total non-farm employment. This number will be reported for the month of November.
- Unemployment Rate is the percentage of unemployed adults, as
estimated monthly by the Labor Department. This number will be reported for
the month of November.
- Hourly Earnings are the percentage change in hourly earnings in the private sector as estimated monthly by the Labor Department. This number will be reported for the month of November.