CNET también está disponible en español.

Ir a español

Don't show this again

SpaceX splashdown Second stimulus check Lego Super Mario The Umbrella Academy Google Doodle Pacita Abad Watch Beyoncé's Black Is King for free

Offer to buy Travelocity hits snag

Even before Sabre's bid to buy the remaining stake in the travel site was formally presented, a committee charged with studying the offer calls it "opportunistic."

Technology provider Sabre Holdings has formally offered to buy the remaining stake in it doesn't own, but a disagreement regarding the price is looming over the deal.

Sabre, which already owns 70 percent of Travelocity stock, offered Tuesday to pay $23 per share for the remaining 30 percent. But late Monday night, before the bid was formally presented, an independent committee charged by Travelocity with reviewing the offer frowned on it.

The Sabre offer "would constitute an opportunistic attempt to acquire Travelocity at a time when its stock price is temporarily depressed," the committee said, according to Travelocity.

Earlier Monday, Travelocity said that some of its shareholders had filed a number of lawsuits in an attempt to block the anticipated sale. The shareholders called the Sabre offer "inadequate."

Sabre, which operates one of the world's largest computer reservation systems, said in a news release Tuesday that the $23 per share offer is a 20 percent premium over the $19.20 share price at which Travelocity closed on Feb. 15, the day Sabre announced it was seeking control.