This week saw our own beloved Department of Communications release some truly fascinating stats about piracy in Australia. Perhaps most staggering was that 43 percent of "online content consumers" said they had pirated some content, leading us to ask "what the hell have the other 57 percent been up to?" The other takeaway data showed that the current plans for piracy laws in Australia will have no impact on how people download media, but let's not talk about that.
Instead, let's talk about Australia's data retention laws and how effective they're going to be, just like similar laws have been around the world. In fact, the UK has loved its data laws so much that the High Court recently ruled them as unlawful and said they have to be "disapplied" in the UK by March 2016. Whoops.
Apple appears to be in deep financial trouble, with its share price crashing after its last earnings statement. The issues seems to be centred around the fact that Apple sold 47.5 million iPhones during the June quarter, up 35 percent from a year ago -- but below the 49.4 million expected by analysts. No. seriously. Apple is making money hand over fist, but not as much as a bunch of random Wall Street types though it should, so that's somehow a disaster.
We also take a quick look at Google's Project Fi, the mobile wireless service that lets you mix a dedicated Wi-Fi service with cellular access, all at a ridiculously competitive price. Don't hold your breath on it making it to Australia.
Girt by CNET podcast 35
Want to know more?
Piracy: You Wouldn't Download a Car
UK data law turnaround
Apple in the throws of faux woes