U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh is not big on rule breakers, and today slapped both Apple and Samsung over filing paperwork that did not follow her guidelines.
In an order this morning, Koh said that some or all of 10 pieces of evidence pertaining to Apple's bid for a sales ban against a number of Samsung devices would be stricken as evidence for excessive length, something that's been an issue during the spat between the two tech giants.
During the trial last August,that both companies were filing too much paperwork, leaving her and her staff completely overwhelmed by what she referred to as Apple and Samsung's "legion of lawyers."
In today's order, Koh said that these limits were ignored in 10 such documents, including declarations from Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller, and Apple's damages calculator Terry Musika. The order removes four entire documents, and large sections of the other six.
The paperwork in question pertained to Apple's bid for a sales ban on a number of Samsung devices., saying that any infringing features were just part of a larger feature set, thus making a sales ban too broad.
What remains is a judgement on damages: the amount Samsung needs to pay Apple, something that's hotly contested by both sides. Apple wants to tack more than $500 million onto the $1.05 billion judgment, while Samsung wants to shave off $600 million. Today's decision follows one from Koh earlier this week that sayswith the total units sold on some of its products to aid in those determinations.
reading•Evidence in Apple v. Samsung tossed for breaking the rules
Oct 19•The Mac Mini waited 3 long years for an update (Apple Byte Extra Crunchy Podcast, Ep. 106)
Oct 19•Apple's Chicago riverfront store is its latest statement piece
Oct 19•iPhone X arrival could slash iPhone 8, Plus output in half
Oct 18•MacBook Pro's space bar mercilessly mocked in song