If you're going to stand in line for deals this Black Friday, instead of buying online, take a gander at this list of tips to make the experience more pleasant.
- Bring your own bottle--of water. Good alternatives for cooler climates are hot coffee or even soup in a Thermos.
- Snick-snacks. Whether they're healthy or not is up to you.
- Extra jacket and/or blanket. Additional layers for cold weather or something children and adults can use on the ground.
- Folding chair(s). The kind that fold and fit into a bag with a shoulder strap are ideal for when the line begins to move. Anything larger will need to go back into the car before shopping.
- Locate the nearest 24-hour restroom. Look for one that is safe and clean, should you need to run off and use the facilities.
- Bring a small flashlight. Your phone LED will do the trick, but can drain your battery fast. It's best to bring a pocket flashlight in case there's little to no lightning outside the store's doors.
- Grab some games. This means it's OK to waste a few hours in a row playing random stuff on your phone or tablet.
- Load up on media. Whether it's movies or music, add something to your device to help distract you from the waiting game.
- Bring an e-reader or book. Just remember to bring gloves if you're in a cool climate.
- Bring some friends. This makes taking breaks much easier when someone can hold your spot in line.
- Share your location. Tell friends and family which stores you'll be shopping at this Black Friday.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Credit cards are popular, but some people still prefer to pay with cash. With big ticket items for sale, people of ill intention may be lurking near stores.
- Play nice with others. Strangers in the line may be tired and hungry, so keep that in mind before any argument gets out of hand.
What does your Black Friday routine involve? Have any extra tips that can be added to the guide? Share them in the comments!
And don't forget to take a look at the CNET Holiday Gift Guide; it may help you skip a line or two.
Black Friday/Cyber Monday
Get great Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals on today's greatest tech.
Dec 20'Tis the season to be fraud-y: It's a holiday for hackers too
Dec 14Green Monday: What is it and where are the best deals?
Dec 1The 17 best Cyber Monday deals you can still get today
Dec 1Cyber Monday nabs sales record again, but perhaps not for long