Apple on Wednesday privacy website, adding details about iOS 12 and the ability for more users to download any and all data linked to an Apple ID.its
In May, Apple made it possible for users in the EU to download their own data. However, with the update, users in the US are now able to download and view the data Apple collects.
According to Apple, the following information is included in the data you are able to download.
- Your Apple ID account details and sign-in records.
- Data that you store with iCloud such as contacts, calendars, notes, bookmarks, reminders, email, photos, videos and documents.
- App usage information, as it relates to use of iCloud, Apple Music, Game Center and other services.
- A record of the items you have purchased or downloaded from the App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books, as well as your browsing history in those stores.
- Records of your Apple retail store and support transactions.
- Records of marketing communications, preferences and other activity.
How to request your data
The process of requesting your data can be done on almost any Apple device and takes just a few minutes. Start by visiting Apple's Apple ID management page and signing into your Apple ID account.
Next, scroll down to the Data & Privacy section and click on Manage Your Data and Privacy. Sign into your Apple ID when prompted. Click Get Started under the section labeled Get a copy of your data.
The next screen will present you with a list of data categories. Select which data you want to download, and then click Continue when you're done. The next page will ask you to select a file size that's easy for you to manage, and Apple will split up your data into files of that size.
That's it. Once you complete the process, Apple will begin working on your request. It can take up to seven days, according to the company, for your request to be completed. When your data is ready, Apple will send an email to your Apple ID with instructions for downloading and viewing your data.
Update Oct. 17, 2018: This post was originally published on May 16, 2018 and has since been updated with new information.