Our Weekly Utilities Update report is a list of all the updates for many Mac utilities that have been released in the past week. While utilities can be any tool that helps you perform a routine task (including image manipulation and synchronization), our main focus in this column is to bring you those tools that help in troubleshooting Mac hardware and software problems. This week's updates include cleaning and maintenance utilities, along with those for mapping keyboard keys and managing Web and network features in OS X.
The popular file and folder sizing tool "WhatSize" has been updated to address a few minor bugs. The program provides a different visual approach to outlining drive usage than "Grand Perspective" and other popular utilities that help find duplicate and large files on the disk.
HDCleanup is a similar utility, which locates duplicate files that you can delete, but neither provides a visual representation of the drive nor lists all files based on size (though it does offer the option to list found duplicate files by size). This utility has been updated to version 1.5, which provides a few small conveniences such as being able to search only one attached drive at a time.
In maintenance utilities, CleanMyMac has been updated to version 1.8, adding support for removing cluttering hidden files such as .DS_Store and $RECYCLE.BIN files made by Windows and the Mac OS. Beyond this the update addresses small bugs.
Tinker Tool System is a utility that, like OnyX and CleanMyMac, offers options to clear temporary files and run various maintenance routines in OS X. The tool has been updated to add a number of small features such as one-click repair, support for more Web browsers, and new hardware support features for x86 platforms.
Recently updated utilities:
- Keyboard Maestro 4.1 - Hot key/macro tool, switcher, multiple clipboard.
- TinkerTool System 2.2 - Professional all-in-one maintenance tool.
- WhatSize 4.9.1 - Measure sizes of your files and folders.
- A Better Finder Rename 8.52 - Rename files, photos, and MP3 in batches.
- CleanMyMac 1.8.0 - Clean up your Mac & free up hard drive space with a few clicks.
- KeyRemap4MacBook 6.4.0 - Customize and bind your keyboard.
- HDCleanUp 1.5 - Clean up the clutter on your hard disk.
- AirRadar 1.2.7 - Advanced wireless network scanner/stumbler.
- Weblock 1.7.1 - Configure access restrictions for OS X's built-in Web server.