Our Weekly Utilities Update report is a list of all the updates for many Mac utilities that have been released in the past week. While utilities can be any tool that helps you perform a routine task (including image manipulation and synchronization), our main focus in this column is to bring you those that help in troubleshooting Mac hardware and software problems.
There are relatively few updates this week.
Time Machine editor has been updated to fix minor issues with the interface. This program is exceptionally useful for customizing the times that Time Machine backs up your system, since the once-per-hour schedule for Time Machine is the only option by default.
In maintenance utilities, IceClean has been updated. This program runs a variety of the terminal-based maintenance routines that come with OS X, including rebuilding launch services, repairing permissions, and running the daily, weekly, and monthly system maintenance routines. It is one of a variety of cleaning utilities out there, including OnyX, MacCleanse, Cocktail, and [Snow] Leopard Cache Cleaner.
In system monitoring tools, the small menu extra "MiniUsage" has been updated to show detailed information about each monitored process. This program is relatively new, but appears to be actively developed and brings the functionality of Activity Monitor a minimal but easily accessible menu. Net Monitor has also been updated, which in addition to containing the same functions as other network utilities, provides a variety of specific troubleshooting features, including timers, calculators, numerous graphing options, and detailed logging.
Recently updated utilities
- TimeMachineEditor 2.5.3 - Change your Time Machine backup schedule and more.
- DaisyDisk 1.5 - Visualize disk usage and free up space by finding and deleting big unused files.
- IceClean 3.4 - System maintenance and optimization tool.
- HDCleanUp 1.1 - Clean up the clutter on your hard disk.
- Net Monitor 4.5.2 - Graph and log network activity of local-remote computers.
- MiniUsage 1.1.0 - Display several kinds of information in the menu bar.