Our Weekly Utilities Update report is a list of all the updates for many Mac utilities that have been released in the past week. Though utilities can be any tool that helps you perform a routine task (including image manipulation and synchronization), our focus in this column is to bring you those tools that help in troubleshooting Mac hardware and software problems. There are mainly updates for maintenance utilities this week, along with an update for gfxCardStatus and VirtualBox.
The majority of this week's updates are with maintenance utilities. These include mall updates to MacKeeper which addresses problems with its Disk Usage and Uninstaller features, and MacCleanse which addresses crashes with crashes during scanning and enhanced logging.
CleanMyMac has seen a more major update, which adds new iPhoto support and management of broken preference files. In addition, drag-and-drop support for volume cleaning and removal of Dock icons upon application removal have been added. Beyond that, numerous bugs have been addressed.
Lastly, if you use your Mac in a multi-OS environment, either with networking or if you use NTFS and FAT-formatted disks, the utility BlueHarvest is useful for preventing the propagation of .DS_Store and other hidden MacOS files on shared volumes. The small update this week adds support for the CIFS and NTFS compatibility software Thursby DAVE and Tuxera NTFS.
One of my more favorite recent utilities, gfxCardStatus has been updated to address some problems with external displays, and accidental reversal of the GPU switch. In addition it adds a restore feature that allows you to restore the last used GPU mode at startup, which may be useful on systems that have automatic GPU switching.
Lastly, the popular VirtualBox VM software has been updated to reflect Oracle as its new owner, and includes a number of bug fixes and feature enhancements, of which we covered a few in a recent article on virtualizing OS X. If you use VirtualBox then this update is recommended.
This week's updates:
- MacKeeper 0.9.3 - ($39.95) Set of clean-up utilities, standalone tools, online services.
- VirtualBox 3.2 - (Free!) Virtualization package for Windows and Linux.
- BlueHarvest 4.0.2 - ($16.95) Manage .DS_Store files, resource forks, trash, etc.
- CleanMyMac 1.9.0 - ($14.95) Clean up your Mac & free up hard drive space with a few clicks.
- Xray Vision 1.7 - ($1.99) Makes files invisible or visible in the Finder.
- MacCleanse 2.0.1 - ($19.95) Scan for and delete unnecessary files on your Mac.
- gfxCardStatus 1.7.5 - (Free!) Manually switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs on Core i5/i7 MacBook Pros.