Still don't have a Halloween costume? Check out Superpunch's list of downloadable masks--just print and cut them out, add a string or a Popsicle stick if you're extra lazy, and off you go. Happy Halloween!
Vampire power, also known as standby power, is a reference to some electronics sucking up juice even when they're turned off, but it also works for our ongoing Halloween show title theme! Check outto see what Nest Labs is doing to kill vampire power.
The iPhone Dev-Team is already close to finishing a preliminary jailbreak on the iPhone 4S that will eventually work with the iPad 2 as well, but what happened to good old analog piracy? As it happens, Activision Blizzard is knee-deep in pirates already circulating bootleg copies of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.
Modern Warfare 2 was already the, so it shouldn't be surprising that a copy of the PC version is already reported missing from Activision Blizzard's shipping warehouse in Fresno, Calif.
The big story making tech headlines last night and this morning is HP pivoting on the announcement it made back in August to. Still no word on what will happen to WebOS, but we'll join who's pushing for HP to merge Windows and WebOS into a central operating system for all its PCs, like .
Last night, Apple also made news by making their encoder and decoder available for download under the Apache 2.0 open-source license, and we're excited to see what developers will do with the opportunity--maybe high definition audio calls in the iPhone 5?. You can find the
This is your official warning, however, because at least one pirate was already caught in the act according to this Craigslist post where he talks about a $5,000 fine and a lifetime ban from online gameplay.
Finally, we end the second period with a big thank you to the two Harvard scholars credited for sparking the podcast revolution. In celebration of the university's 375th birthday, this article in the Gazelle traces the origins of podcasting back to Dave Winer and Christopher Lydon, a couple of bloggers who spawned the idea to broadcast their voices over the Internet using RSS feeds. Along with the iPod bringing digital media to the mainstream, we wouldn't be here without those two guys, so thanks!
The 404 Digest for Episode 935
- HP reverses course, decides to .
- Apple's .
- Beeri: for you.
- The iPhone 4S has been jailbroken.
- The McRib contains flour-bleaching agent found in gym mats and shoes.
- Behold: the podcast revolution.
- Dozens of printable Halloween masks.
- How Apple killed the live camgirl Web show.
- Pirated Modern Warfare 3 discs are already spreading.
- Police kick in woman's door after she finds lost iPhone in a Kohl's store.
- Listener picture: Ryan from Phoenix puts these hard drive signs up at Costco.
- Bathroom break 1: Tweephone is the first analog Twitter client.
- Bathroom break 2: This is what a dinosaur feels like when he gets crushed.
Subscribe in iTunes (audio) | Subscribe in iTunes (video) | Subscribe in RSS Audio | Subscribe in RSS Video