Almost a month into the recall of its Galaxy Note 7 phone, Samsung has recovered more than 60 percent the devices in the US and South Korea. In Europe, the company says the number of recalled devices is 57 percent.
"Our message of safety first is getting through to Galaxy Note 7 owners who are doing the right thing by exchanging for a new device quickly and safely," said David Lowes, chief marketing officer for Samsung Electronics Europe, said in an emailed statement.
The company began a global recall on September 2 in response to battery flaw that caused a small number of phones to burst into flames. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission made the recall official for US residents a week later.
Earlier this month, Samsung started issuing replacement devices with entirely new batteries. Note 7 customers who have not yet returned their phone are advised to power down their handsets immediately and bring it to the place they purchased it. For more on the recall and what you need to do, read CNET's FAQ.
First published at 6:10 a.m. PT.
Updated at 7:38 a.m. PT: Added statement from Samsung.