AOL (temporary?) SMTP problems Several weeks ago we reported that AOL had opened up their email system to allow AOL members to send and receive email using any standard email client. We received a good number of reports from readers of success using Apple's Mail application with AOL. However, reader Jim Collymore reports that since late last week, he has not been able to send mail through AOL:
"I set up my system to send and receive mail through AOL using the Apple Mail.app. This worked until this past Thursday or Friday. Then I noticed that I could receive mail but I couldn't send it out. I had also been able to dial directly to the AOL servers using Internet Connect during this time period. It worked fine until this past Sunday."
"Thinking that it was something wrong with my Mac, I first called AOL Tech Support. They basically told me that they knew of no problems at their end and that I should call Apple. This evening I called Apple Care and spent almost an hour with two technicians. It was determined that my Mac and modem are fine. They speculate that AOL turned on the above capabilities (possibly to test them) and then turned them off."
This is the first report we've received of such problems. As no MacFixIt staff members use AOL, we welcome confirmations (or contradictions) from other MacFixIt readers.
Bluetooth menu issue Reader "Kenny" reports an odd issue with the Bluetooth status menu that has been happening since OS X 10.3.3:
"I've been having a problem with Bluetooth since just before upgrading to OS X 10.3.4 wherein the status icon disappears from the menu bar. If I open [Bluetooth] System Preferences [and] unchecked and then recheck 'Show Bluetooth status in the menu bar' the icon will reappear."
New/Updated Knowledge Base Articles
- Apple Security Updates
- About Adjusting Brightness on Ambient Light Sensor (ALS)
- Europe: Service Certification Training and Testing Centres
- Power Mac G4: Opening the Computer
- iMovie: Camcorder Information
- iMovie 2: Compatibility
- My Info: Repair Status Terminology
- iBook (Dual USB): Memory Card Replacement Instructions
- iBook (Dual USB): Keyboard Replacement Instructions
- Troubleshooting portables that won't turn on or start up
- Power Mac G4: Removing the Support Plate
- Power Mac G4: Removing the Logic Board
- iChat, iChat AV frequently asked questions (FAQ)
- About the Mac OS X 10.3.4 Update
- Startup Manager: Only Displays Mac OS X, Not Mac OS 9
- Mac OS: Classic or Mac OS 9 issues after installing HP ScanJet 3.0.1 update
- Mac OS X Update 10.2.8 (Build 6R73): Information and Download
- Mac OS X: Software Update unexpectedly quits when an update has a license agreement
- Mac OS X: PPP connection fails, how to turn PPP LCP echo off
- Mac OS X 10.2, 10.3: About the Archive and Install feature
- iPod does not appear in iPod Updater or iTunes in Mac OS X