Apple's Mac App Store is officially a success.
The company announced today that the store, which is available to Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion users, has reached 100 million application downloads. Given that success, Apple is calling the service the "fastest growing PC software store in the world."
as a free download for Snow Leopard users. The marketplace, like Apple's mobile App Store, allows users to sift through both free and paid programs and download them to their devices. Apple shares 70 percent of the revenue generated from paid applications with developers, and keeps the remaining 30 percent for itself.
Just a day after the Mac App Store launched with a little over 1,000 programs, Apple announced thatduring its first 24 hours of availability. Since then, Apple says, the store has added "thousands" of applications.
Apple reported in October that its mobile application store is also doing well, averaging 1 billion monthly downloads of its more than 500,000 available apps. All told,from that store since its launch in 2008, and the company has paid out over $3 billion to developers.
Google's Android Market is also doing well. Last week, the search giant said that 1 billion apps are being downloaded from its store each month. So far, Android device owners have downloaded a total of.
Update 5:54 a.m. PT to include more details.
reading•Mac App Store downloads reach 100 million
Dec 15•How I shot a rock concert on the iPhone X
Dec 15•The iMac Pro isn't for everyone (Apple Byte Extra Crunchy, Ep. 114)
Dec 15•The iMac Pro is here!
Dec 15•The iMac Pro isn’t for everyone (Apple Byte Extra Crunchy Podcast, Ep. 114)