CNET también está disponible en español.

Ir a español

Don't show this again

Tech Industry

Oakland man who repeatedly attacked Google HQ charged with arson

Citing that "Google was watching him," the man admitted to three previous incidents at the Googleplex, one of which involved a shooting.

gettyimages-525646134.jpg

The Googleplex in Mountain View, California.

Brooks Kraft/Corbis via Getty Images

An Oakland resident has been charged with one count of arson after being allegedly linked to multiple attacks at Google's headquarters in Mountain View, California.

The Mountain View Police Department arrested Raul Murillo Diaz, 30, of Oakland, California on June 30, after his vehicle was spotted at Google HQ (also known as the "Googleplex") around midnight. His car, a 2004 gray Volkswagen Touareg, was previously caught on security tape involving three other criminal incidents at the campus.

Diaz mentioned Google, Google co-founder and CEO Larry Page and Facebook several times during his police interview, according to an affidavit filed last week in US District Court for the Northern District of California. Diaz said he carried out these attacks because he felt that "Google was watching him and that made him upset." He also kept journals of all the times he suspected the company was watching him.

Diaz told police he intended to carry out a shooting the night of June 30 had he not been stopped. A cylindrical device was also in his vehicle, according to the affidavit. Though Diaz said the object was used for target practice, the bomb squad that was later called in said it was an unfinished explosive device.

The other three incidents Diaz admitted to committing took place between May and June. The first involved a suspect attempting to set a Google Street View car on fire with Molotov cocktails. The suspect was unsuccessful at the time and only the ground around the car sustained fire damage. A few weeks later, bullets were shot into the windows of a Google office building. Six days later on June 10, a suspect successfully set a Google self-driving car on fire.

Currently, Diaz is in police custody and held without bail. He faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

The San Francisco Field Division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which was helping with the investigation, declined a request for comment.