Now that Samsung finally announced its latest Galaxy S9 and phones at , you may be giving your current phone some side-eye. Fortunately, the company is continuing its trade-in program for old phones in the US, UK, Australia and China. Samsung said it will also include other "major European countries" so be sure to check if it's available in your country.
Trade-ins will begin on March 2 and it only applies to new Galaxy phones (including the Galaxy S8, and too) bought online directly from Samsung.com or through the Shop Samsung App. Depending on what phone you trade-in, you can get up to $350, £200 or AU$1,275 back. Of course, the money you get back depends on the worth of your old phone, so it's safe to say you'll receive less money the older your phone is and the worse shape it's in.
So what phones are eligible? Check out the list below:
- Galaxy S8, S8 Plus and
- Galaxy S6, ,
- Apple iPhone SE, iPhone 5 and above
- Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL
- Google Pixel and Pixel XL
- LG V30, V20
- LG G6 and
Once Samsung ships you your new device, you have 15 days to decide if you want to send your old phone in. But there are some caveats. Your phone must:
- Have a functioning display
- Have no breaks or cracks in the screen or case, or other visible defects that go beyond normal wear and tear (though there are some exceptions under Samsung's "Cracked Screen Offer" loophole)
- Not be on a black list of any kind
- Not be under any lease and that you're the full owner of the device
- Be reset, clear of personal user data and disabled of anti-theft locking software
- Have an FCC ID label
Last year, Samsung offered up to $300 for the US trade-in program, so this year's additional $50 is a welcome increase -- especially if you don't plan on getting. For more information on trading in, selling or donating your phone, .
: Hands-on with Samsung's iPhone X fighters.
: All of CNET's coverage from the biggest phone show of the year.
Mobile World Congress 2018
reading•Galaxy S9, S9 Plus trade-in: Get up to $350 for your old phone
Apr 11•21 hidden Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus features
Mar 29•CNET UK podcast 537: Huawei goes colourful and Andy secures his home
Mar 25•Web Foundation CEO: Getting the whole world online is our goal
Mar 15•Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus vs. iPhone X, Pixel 2 XL