From The Times of London:
A former Chinese university professor who was dismissed after he founded a democratic opposition party, plans to sue Yahoo and Google in the United States for blocking his name from search results in China.
Guo Quan, an expert on classical Chinese literature and the 1937 Nanjing massacre of Chinese civilians by Japanese troops, last week issued an open letter pledging to bring a lawsuit against Google after he discovered that his name had been excised in searches of its Google.cn portal in China.
He told The Times that he had now found that the Chinese Yahoo site had also blocked his name and that he planned to bring actions against both companies. "Since January 1, a lot of friends told me that Web sites with my name had been closed. They told me it's impossible to search for my information on Google and Yahoo."
I won't pretend to be a lawyer, but it seems unlikely that Guo will be successful. He acknowledges that there's no chance in Chinese court, but it would be interesting if he succeeds in bringing a suit against the companies in U.S. court.
See The Times' full article, "Dissident Chinese professor to sue Yahoo! and Google for erasing his name." Hat tip goes to Techdirt.