CNET también está disponible en español.

Ir a español

Don't show this again

Mobile

Exploding Samsung phone burns 6-year-old

A young boy is the latest victim of an overheating battery.

It's more bad news for Samsung.

Drew Angerer, Getty Images

A 6-year-old boy from Brooklyn suffered burns to his body Saturday night when a Samsung Galaxy smartphone exploded.

The boy was watching videos on the phone when the device suddenly exploded in his hands, the boy's grandmother told the New York Post. The family called 911 and he was rushed to the hospital with burns on his body. He has been released and returned home. His grandmother said he is now too scared to go near other devices.

Samsung acknowledged the incident in a statement and said it has been in touch with the family of the boy.

"We take every report very seriously and have contacted the Lewis family to learn more about their situation," a spokesman said in a statement Monday. "As we are currently looking into this case, we are unable to comment further right now."

The boy's family initially told the New York Post that the exploding phone was the recalled Samsung Galaxy Note 7. But CBS 2 in New York reported later that the boy's mother clarified that it was not the Galaxy Note 7, but instead was an older Samsung model, the Galaxy Core.

Samsung responded with the same statement Tuesday when asked to verify the phone involved in the incident.

Samsung issued a recall of the Galaxy Note 7 earlier this month after 35 separate reports of batteries overheating and catching fire. The company has agreed to replace every Galaxy Note 7. To help speed up the effort, the Consumer Product Safety Commission stepped in last week and is working with Samsung on the recall.

The Galaxy Core, which was first introduced in May 2013, has not been recalled and does not have any known issues with its battery overheating. For more information about the Galaxy Note 7 recall check out Samsung's official site.

First published September 12, 7:45 a.m. PT.
Correction, September 13 at 1:55 p.m. PT.: This story previously misstated the model of the Samsung phone that burned a 6-year-old boy's hand in Brooklyn, New York. It was reportedly a Samsung Galaxy Core.