As 2011 draws to a close, Apple has once again decided to take a look back atthis year.
Dubbed iTunes Rewind, the roundup lists, among other content, the top-selling movies, apps, books, and music during the year, as well as Apple staff's top picks in each category.
Apple doesn't provide sales figures in Rewind, and it's worth noting that its lists are based solely on iTunes sales. But it still provides solid insight into what we were interested in this year.
Read on to find out which shows, movies, apps, and more were the top winners on iTunes in 2011:
- For the second year in a row, Angry Birds was the top-selling paid iPhone application, followed by Fruit Ninja and Angry Birds Seasons. Angry Birds HD was the top paid iPad app.
- Given Facebook's success, it's no wonder the social network's application was the top free app in the App Store. Pandora Radio and Words with Friends Free edition came in second and third place, respectively.
- Instagram earned top honors for best iPhone app this year, as voted by Apple staff.
- Photo-effect application Snapseed was tapped as the best iPad app of the year.
- Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" was the year's top-selling song on iTunes, while LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem" and "Firework" by Katy Perry followed closely behind.
- Given the success of her single and "21" album, which took the top spot in sales, as well, Apple staff gave Adele "Artist of the Year" honors.
- The Foo Fighters' "Wasting Light" was voted the top album this year by Apple staff.
- "Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People was voted the best song.
- "The Social Network," which chronicled (with varying degrees of accuracy) the story of Facebook's founding, was the top-selling movie this year. It was followed by "Limitless" and "No Strings Attached."
- Apple gave "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows--Part 2" the "Best Blockbuster" nod this year.
- "Bridesmaids" was the best comedy of 2011, Apple staff says.
- "The Walking Dead" episode "What Lies Ahead" was the top seller on iTunes this year, while "Doctor Who" took the top spot for bestselling season.
- Apple named "Modern Family" the best half-hour show on television.
- "Breaking Bad" was called the best drama.
Click here to head to iTunes and see all the Rewind winners this year.
All the latest Apple news, featuring developments on the iPhone, iPad, Macbooks, OS X and much more.
May 22Nike releases more Apple Watch bands to match your kicks
May 22Egg freezing, so hot right now
May 21Dear Apple, Americans aren't in love with 'America First'
May 20Apple's biggest launch of the year may have been last week