On Thursday,: The company had been secretly throttling the speed of older iPhones to keep them from unexpectedly shutting down. The fix? A newly inexpensive battery replacement -- just $29 for any iPhone 6 or later, starting in January 2018. (It normally cost $79, but Apple's making it cheaper as part of its apology.)
But how do you know when your iPhone's being throttled? When is it truly worth taking a trip to your local Apple Store and handing over your precious device?
According to Apple, there are seven signs that a worn battery may be causing Apple's software to slow down your device.
- Longer app launch times -- Force-close your apps. Do they take longer than normal to launch from scratch?
- Lower frame rates while scrolling -- Does your screen seem to stutter when you're scrolling down webpages and through homescreens?
- Backlight dimming -- Does your phone's screen no longer get as bright, even when you set it that way?
- Lower speaker volume by up to -3dB -- Do your speakers no longer get as loud?
- Gradual frame rate reductions in some apps -- Try this with intensive games, in particular.
- During the most extreme cases, the camera flash will be disabled as visible in the camera UI -- Can you not even use your phone's camera flash anymore?
- Apps refreshing in background may require reloading upon launch -- Apps that normally pull in new data, even when you're not using them...did they stop doing that all of a sudden?
Of course, there are other reasons why some of these performance issues might occur -- so be sure to tryto make sure it's not something else.
Speaking of which, Apple says the following parts of your phone aren't impacted by battery-related throttling at all:
- Cellular call quality and networking throughput performance
- Captured photo and video quality
- GPS performance
- Location accuracy
- Sensors like gyroscope, accelerometer, barometer
- Apple Pay
So if you see those things fail, you may have a different issue.
reading•7 signs Apple may be slowing your old iPhone
Jun 21•iOS 12: Release date, new features, and hidden features
Jun 21•Logitech's school-targeted Crayon stylus is so good, Apple should copy it for iPad
Jun 21•Pixel 2 vs. OnePlus 6: Which Android phone is best?
Jun 21•Tech condemns Trump: Apple, Microsoft, Airbnb oppose separating families at the border