Whether you want to crank J. Bieber's latest jam or mute it, messing around with your computer's media settings can be hard, even if you know your player cold. It can be extra tricky if you use different players for different kinds of files or locations. Fortunately, Media Player Hotkeys is a free app for Windows that lets you set up easy controls that work with Winamp, Window Media Player, Media Player Classic, and more. Here's how to use it:
- Download and run Media Player Hotkeys here.
- The Hotkeys tab should be highlighted. Select a media player action from the drop-down list on the right, then click "Add hotkey."
- Set up the hot key (making sure you won't need it for some other program), then click "Accept."
- Repeat steps 2-3 until you've got all the hot keys you want, then select the Options tab.
- Select "Start with Windows" if you want it to run all the time; you may also want to select "Start minimized" and "minimize to tray" to keep it out of sight.
That's all there is to it. Thanks to Ghacks for the tip!