Have a family member who has an iTunes gift card on his or her Christmas list this holiday season?
Odds are you have at least one person who does. If you aren't the gift-card-giving type, however, and prefer something that requires a bit more thought be put into it, consider gifting an app.
Gifting an app allows you to pay for the app using your iTunes account, while sending the recipient a promo code for the app; your giftee can then download the app free of charge.
The process can be carried out either in iTunes or through the App Store app on an iOS device. Let's take a look how to do it on your iOS device first.
- You can gift an app using an iPad, iPod Touch, or iPhone. Launch the App Store and find the app you want to send as a gift. Once you have found the app and are viewing all of the details, scroll down to the bottom. There you will find a Gift This App button. Tap on it.
- You will be provided with a summary of the app; press Next after you have confirmed it is the app you would like to send.
- Enter your name followed by the recipient's name and e-mail address. You can also scroll down and enter a note to be sent with the app if you'd like. Press Next when you're done.
- On the last screen you will see an order summary. Verify that the name, e-mail address, and app are all correct. Once you are satisfied, tap on Buy Gift. The recipient will then be sent an e-mail to alert him or her of your gift.
Now that we have seen the process for using an iOS device, let's look at how to gift an app using iTunes. The process is basically the same, with a few minor tweaks.
- Navigate to the app you would like to gift. While on the detail page for the app, you can click on the arrow to the right of the price of the app. Doing so will provide you with a list of options. Select Gift This App.
Using iTunes you are given an option to have the gift e-mailed, or you can print it out and hand deliver it. Enter the required information to e-mail the certificate and click on Continue.
If you are printing the certificate, you will only be required to enter your name, recipient's name, and a note.
If want to send this same app to more than one person, you can enter multiple e-mail address by placing a comma between each of them. This allows you to go through the purchase process only once.
- Confirm your purchase by clicking on Buy Gift.
Sorry, an iTunes gift card can't be used to gift apps to other family members. Nice try, though.
reading•How to gift an app from the App Store
Feb 23•Apple HomePod: 6 things it can't do
Feb 23•Apple's wireless AirPower mat could debut next month
Feb 23•New AirPods coming, Amazon to expand Go stores
Feb 23•Apple readying new AirPods with 'Hey, Siri' for 2018 (Apple Byte Extra Crunchy Podcast, Ep. 120)